ArtStation is all about Spider-Man’ art dump, so you have a chance to study the team’s work in details.
We have to admit that it’s actually our favorite skin for Peter, so we were really happy to see the artist’s post. The skin is all about this vintage comic look that makes you feel like you’re holding Amazing Fantasy #15.
So, what is the process behind this cool look? Here it goes:
Base color > Vertical gradient (to add depth) > Color adjustment (since reverse tone-mapping loses color) > Screentone > Reverse tonemapping > (Shading) N dot L > Hatching map > Shading applied to hatching > Fresnel for “bounced light” (see: old comics) > Mask out shadows from red > Final
And here are some details on the team:
- Character Artist: Xavier Coelho-Kostolny
- Art Direction: Jacinda Chew
- Lead Character Artist: Gavin Goulden
- Character Artist: Marco Villalpando
- Senior Graphics Technical Artist: Chris Perrella
- Lead Character TD: Adalbert Kinsey
- Character TD: Sergio Sykes
The breakdown was originally published on ArtStation.