Vertex school has shared 3 courses that cover modeling, realistic character art, and lighting in Unreal Engine. Check out this great set of art knowledge.
The course is mentored by Piotr Kujko, an experienced 3D Artist, working in commercials and post-production studios, and Asset Artist in Platige Image in Poland.
The course will go through the full process of sculpting and preparing facial models for presentation. The emphasis will be on establishing proper form and proportions, as you work through anatomical and facial details. Creating proper human-based textures to optimize a solid presentation. Students will learn how to get the most out of the various tools to get the best results.
This workshop on Photo Realistic Portraits will consist of six live modules. You’ll learn core facial design skills and workflows.
The instructor of this course is Maria Yue, a Lighting Artist who specializes in video game development. Starting with Ubisoft Shanghai in 2012, she has 8 years of experience in lighting both in-game level and cinematics. She is currently working as a Senior Lighting Artist at Splash Damage in the UK and her shipping titles include Far Cry 4, Far Cry Primal, Robinson The Journey, Climb, Star Citizen, and Gears5.
Steps of the course
- Best Practices: Different styles of Lighting Scenes; Interior Lighting, Exterior Lighting, Natural Lighting. How Lighting Works With Particle Effect.
- Interior: Lighting theory, Unreal Engine light types, Skybox, inverse squared, light ratio.
- Exterior: Sunny 16 rule, skybox, exposure, DOF, camera settings, fog.
- Character Lighting: Light setup, mood, shadows, skylights, volumetric fog.
- Tailoring The Lighting Design: Theoretical & Practical Workflows, How To Select References & Build Moodboards. Determining & Designing Lighting Styles Specific To Your Project.
- Presentation: Posting, doing art tests, applying for the job & interviews.
The course is prepared by Alan Wilson, a 20 year veteran of the 3D industry, former QA for the Autodesk Maya/Max team. The course will go through the full process of building and preparing models. The emphasis will be on creating the environmental building of Batman vs Superman. As you work through the process, you will understand the theory of blueprints. The students will learn core environmental design skills and workflows.
Parts of the course
- Blueprint & References: Understand the theory of blueprints and how to use them in Maya.
- Building The Hero Building: In this section, we will use references from the net to build our parts for the structure.
- Assembly Of The Main Building: Learn the workflow, how to quickly assemble the Main Building, and start creating parts of the substructures.
- Applying Textures: Creating dynamic textures, and understanding the process of applying them. The purpose of having all the parts pre-done with UV's will become very evident.
- The Book Building: We will continue to refine and use our new skills and start building the surrounding structures of the environment.
- Rendering: We will explore lighting and a PBR setup using Arnold. Allowing for a nice render.
You may check out more courses of Vertex schools here.