This is beautiful, great work. Would love to walk around in this city
Wow, I am 22 years and self thought still trying to be a good artist, I am using blender in a country where no one cares. Thanks a lot for this inspiring article. I am not as good as this, you are very good.
Awesome. Really great tips for beginners like me to start working correctly.
DICE Stockholm is looking for a world class Cinematics Director with the knowledge and experience to help bring the cinematics of their AAA franchises to whole new levels.
You know everything there is to know about narrative structure, cameras, shot composition and character emotion and motivation, and how to combine all those ingredients into an exceptional and innovative visual storytelling dish. As a person, you’re assertive, you know what you want but you’re also collaborative, flexible and able to compromise and adapt when needed. You must have an equal passion for story and cinematics as well as games and how to convey all this within a game development context.
Role & Responsibility
- Define a vision of what great cinematics will be – and work with the team to realise that vision.
- Develop a cinematic language to be used across the game
- Creative, collaborative problem solver with an eye for cutting-edge cinematics. A leader who can foster a positive culture in the team around them.
- Key stakeholder in realisation of story who will use film-director-level skills to make cinematic content that blows the competition away.
- Adaptive problem solver, develops and improves script through the pre-visualization process with an eye for style, craftsmanship and economy. Make it make sense. Make it beautiful.
- Shows flexibility for the greater product. Be sensitive to the needs outside of cinematics to create wins for the whole game.
- Create visual innovation in storytelling beyond direct/flat realisation of script as written. Show them things they haven’t seen before that carry their stories forward.
- Understands story & scene goals and will challenge other directors (particularly SPDD, ND and LLD) to make the best possible story. Consider the use of scripted sequences, dialogue and environmental storytelling beyond just cinematics themselves.
- Ultimately accountable for realisation of all cinematics – i.e. everything where the camera in 1p or 3p or other character performance is scripted.
- Experience in getting the best out of actors in a performance capture environment. One of several stakeholders in casting.
- Deep understanding of cinematic craft and tools to create visually compelling drama; Composition, Character Performance, Editing, Transitions, Lighting, Music and more.
- Awareness of production scope and budget. Ability to work with team to manage this. Ability to go “light” and “heavy” on production costs where appropriate.
- Send your application with a combined CV and cover letter in English
- Must have a portfolio and reel that demonstrates:
- A strong cinematic background
- Demonstrate cutting edge camera language and editing techniques
- 5+ years of credited CG directorial experience working in either videogame cinematics or TV/film
- Proactive problem solving skills; the candidate must be able to identify creative issues and help to manage and resolve them efficiently
Beneficial Skills and Experience
- Experience directing external animation teams
- Proficiency working with Maya/Motion Builder, Final Draft/Movie Magic Pro
- Have experience preparing and directing mocap shoots
- Worked with game creation tools like Unreal and Unity
- A keen gamer, with experience playing many of the more recognized first person shooter
Team-first mentality. No ego, just a commitment to get the best quality into the game.