Very impressive article Jake! You are very talented.
nice article! i love seeing the breakdowns.
Epic Games and Mapcore teamed up to host a Level Design contest for Unreal Tournament. The companies want to challenge you to create a new level for the “Team Showdown” game mode.
Th contest includes two phases:
Phase 1 – Design (1 Month)
- Design a level for the new “Team Showdown” Mode in Unreal Tournament 4.
- Focus on level flow, theme, weapon and spawn placements that compliments “Team Showdown”.
All Contestants must submit their works until the May 2nd deadline set at contest forum.
Phase 2 – Art and Polish (2 Months)
- Use official art (Liandri, Castle, Chill and Snow Fortress assets) or your own.
- Mesh and light the level.
- Do a collision/blocking volume pass.
- The level must be functional.
- The level must run at a reasonable framerate (dmoutpost23 is a good reference).
Submissions have to be made before the July 4th deadline on Mapcore’s contest forum. Links to works will be sent to Epic Games and then judged. Community playtest event of the final submissions will be hosted by Epic Games.
And here are some rules:
- Small teams are allowed, for example, an artist and a designer.
- Custom art is allowed, but use of official art is completely fine.
- You can start art passing whenever you’re ready. You don’t have to wait for the second phase.
- You have to be willing to have your level tested and played in Unreal Tournament.
- Must be designed for “Team Showdown” but that doesn’t mean it won’t work for Deathmatch.
UT team will vote for their favorite levels and the winners will be announced on Unreal Tournament’s Twitch channel.
- First Place ($1650) + Swag
- Second Place ($850) + Swag
- Third Place ($500) + Swag
- Fourth Place Honorary Mention (Swag)
- Fifth Place Honorary Mention (Swag)
There is even a chance that these levels will make it to official marketplace in case they are worth it.