The game is fully playable from start to finish but lacks some of the graphical enhancements the developers plan to add in the near future.
A group of fans known as Source VR Mod Team has released Half-Life 2: VR Mod, a new mod that adds full virtual reality support to Valve's legendary 2004 FPS. Being released in public beta, the VR version of HL2 is nearly complete and fully playable from start to finish but, according to the project's description, lacks some of the features. In the future, the developers intend to upgrade the game from a visual standpoint, adding enhanced lighting, overhauling its assets, and improving the textures with a combination of AI-upscaling and manual touches.
Half-Life 2: VR Mod features:
- Full room-scale VR with tracked motion controls. Physically walk around, pick up objects and climb ladders the way that only Virtual Reality allows.
- Intuitive and realistic weapon interactions, with quick and easy weapon switching via a radial menu, ammo storage over your shoulder, functional iron-sights, two-handed weapons, and manual reloading.
- Control options including full left-handed support, a laser sight, and arcade-style "quick reload".
- Comfort features like motion vignette and 3rd person vehicle camera. (Note: there is currently no teleport movement option.)
- Playable on any VR headset which is supported by SteamVR.