I have being working in the AAA industry for tha last 3 years and the crunch is what is forcing me to find something else to do in life even if I love 3d. Some places may be more respectful with their employees but in my experience the crunch is even calculated in advance cause they know the workers will accept that. Some people is very passionate and don´t mind to do it and that is fine but a lot of people have families and they want to build a healthy environment with them or other goals outside the working ours. Not to mention non-payed overtime and other abuses I faced. Hope this industry fixs this problem.
Those tilesets are sexy. Seeing new tilesets is like getting introduced to a new lego set.
Here is an amazing opportunity to work on a Spider-Man game. Insomniac Games is looking for a Senior Environment Artist to help maintain established quality and artistic consistency of environment art. This role sets an example to the production team by the creation of art assets and professional conduct.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintains consistent aesthetic and technical quality in all environments
- Maintains consistent style under the direction of the Art Director and Lead Environment Artist
- Works closely with level designers to lay out levels that work for design and gameplay and follow the aesthetic and technical guidelines set by the Lead; levels must also be laid out with scope control in mind so deadlines can be met
- Works closely with the tools department to implement new production methods
- Participates in the planning of project environments
- Other duties may be assigned
Responsible for overseeing and/or creating the following environment art components:
- Design roughs
- Visual prototype levels
- Technology test levels
- Low detail (layout) geometry
- Medium detail (asset) geometry
- High detail (normal map generation) geometry
- Instance composition and layout
- Texture maps
- Zone/Region setup and implementation
- Level optimization (which includes vram, mram, Framerate, etc…)
Additional Production Responsibilities:
- Tool proposals
- Tool beta testing
- Assigning bugs and verifying bug fixes
- Working with concept/polish team to ensure proper production quality
This position assists with the training of environment art team members and assists with problem solving for new technology. Schedules and guides a small team of environment artists.
Education and/or Experience:
- Fifth year college or university program certificate; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert understanding of Maya (or Max), Photoshop, Mudbox, Z-brush or equivalent.
- Expert understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models.
- Proficient in texture creation with Photoshop, Substance Designer, or equivalent.
- Advanced understanding of node based shader networks.
- Advanced understanding of at least one current gen level editor.
- Understanding of source control via Perforce or equivalent.