Curious as to bipedal proportions, especially, as there seems to be good stylized, even with larger than life heads, eyes, yet they look "good". Is there a chart like there is for proper anatomy for drawing? It'd be great to see a comparison even though I realize there are many forms of stylized. I think that'd make a great article.
Your link to the Substance file on polycount is broken, the correct link is: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2294007/#Comment_2294007
Ninja Theory, the studio behind Enslaved, Devil May Cry and the upcoming Hellblade, is looking for a talented FX artist to join the team.
- Under direction from senior members of the team take an active role in the creation process, producing high quality effects content with a strong commitment to deadlines.
- Build, maintain and manage strong working relationships with other disciplines in the studio, ensuring clarity of vision is maintained across all teams and keeping an awareness of the whole production process, whilst ensuring correct practices – for example work with the Animation and Design departments to incorporate and trigger required effects within the game engine using appropriate tools and with the Environment Artists to help in complimenting their work with atmospherics and elemental effects.
- Maintain both a detailed view of effects content worked on as well as a bigger picture view of the whole pipeline to ensure problem solving when required is both adept and long-term in view. Understand how other teams within the pipeline can impact the Effects team to be able to pre-empt problems when possible.
- Take an active part in team discussions, offering suggestions for improving the FX/Technical Art quality of the game and ensuring these suggestions remain positive and constructive. Ask pertinent questions and use knowledge / experience of more senior team members to ensure own work is carried out appropriately and own development is maintained.
- Maintain a flexible working practice – showing the ability and willingness to adapt to various art styles and tools, and to take advice from other disciplines and members of the art team as required. Be able to provide good time estimates of completion of tasks when required and demonstrate an understanding, via your work, of the reduction of processing and memory overheads whilst maintaining visual integrity.
Take responsibility for own personal development – whether via books, other team/studio members, electronic media etc. Show development in work and awareness of importance of quality and schedules.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstratable experience of creating efficient realtime visual effects using the UE3/UE4 Cascade Editor
- Understanding of past and present styles of visual effects used in visual media.
- Demonstrable ability to understand and create texture maps
- Demonstrable understanding of 3D asset creation
- Demonstrable understanding of the physical movement of objects based around the object and objects environmental properties
- Demonstrable ability to quickly master proprietary tools and development processes in order to produce a finished real time asset.
- Experience of relevant 3D art & animation packages – Maya is preferred
- Demonstrable artistic understanding as well as practical implementation awareness of FX
- Understanding of shaders and textures
- Understanding of how to optimise effects to work with varying technical constraints
- Demonstrable creative thinking
- Good communication skills
- A demonstrable passion for visual effects
- Problem solving skills
- Passion and ability to work as a positive, collaborative, enthusiastic, ambitious and contributing team member with a real desire to be part of the team. The continued harmony of team work is paramount at Ninja Theory
- Shipped a console/PC title using UE3/UE4
- Solid understanding of Photoshop or similar image manipulation software
- Knowledge of UE4 Blueprints
- Knowledge of Fluid Dynamics
- Knowledge of Rigid Body Dynamics
- Passion for games
- Interest in Virtual Reality
- Animation experience – an understanding of movement within particle effects
- Demonstrable knowledge of compositing