Hi Elliott, This is a great breakdown and very generous in sharing your process and insights, you came a long way from the vending machine days!
Are you planning on releasing the UE4 project to the public? Or only builds? I'd love to play around with it in the editor if possible!
The Rockstar New England team has a great offer for environment artists. Are you ready to work with the guys behind Bully: Scholarship Edition, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto V on creating next-generation worlds for some exciting upcoming projects? The position requires not just strong modeling and texturing skills, but also an ability to create immersive, living, and fully-realized environments.
- You will be responsible for creating a very high quality of environment art.
- Working as a senior you will benchmark and raise the bar for environment art throughout products.
- Should be able to mentor and work well with others within the team.
- Work closely with Programmers to ensure polygon counts and texture sizes are fully optimized for target platforms while minimizing any impact on artistic integrity of assets.
- Participate in R&D of new techniques to implement into production pipeline.
- Proactively seek feedback from Lead Artist, and Creative Directors.
- Ensure that artistic style is consistent with defined visual style for the game.
- 5+ years of post-secondary educational experience in 2D and 3D art production.
- Proven track record in at least 2 shipped titles (preferably AAA).
- Superior 2D and 3D art skills.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of cutting edge shader techniques.
- Excellent compositional skills and all-around artistic expertise and flare.
- Eagerness to learn new software tools and technologies.
- Ability to work in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints.
- Expertise in 3ds Max, Photoshop, or other technologies utilized in the production of game art.
- Strong technical background with ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- Ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Creative nature with strong problem solving skills.
- Passion for Rockstar Games!