I've never heard of isolating the green channel of the normal map and using it as a paint layer. What effect does that create exactly?
WARNING They dont listen to their users as much as they like to say they do. Check their forums. Plenty of requests go unanswered. Their "To Do" list has been outdated. They lack staple features such as a Text Tool, Adjustment Layers, Channels, Layer Styling, Proper Cropping. Paintstorm cant even resize a photo correctly (It will always leave a border when resizes). You also run into square artifacts occasionally. There have also been several instances were paintstorm was detected as malware, once called out, the dev reuploads a clean version. This happened at least twice from forum reports and Virus Total. Aside from the very obvious lack of support and maintinence. The brush system is good. However a good brush engine will not replace the other basic features and functions paintstorm lacks. DO NOT expect support. This is definitely a homegrown app and it shows. If you want a versatile brush engine, clip studio or even krita is where its at.
The Rockstar New England team has a great offer for environment artists. Are you ready to work with the guys behind Bully: Scholarship Edition, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3 and Grand Theft Auto V on creating next-generation worlds for some exciting upcoming projects? The position requires not just strong modeling and texturing skills, but also an ability to create immersive, living, and fully-realized environments.
- You will be responsible for creating a very high quality of environment art.
- Working as a senior you will benchmark and raise the bar for environment art throughout products.
- Should be able to mentor and work well with others within the team.
- Work closely with Programmers to ensure polygon counts and texture sizes are fully optimized for target platforms while minimizing any impact on artistic integrity of assets.
- Participate in R&D of new techniques to implement into production pipeline.
- Proactively seek feedback from Lead Artist, and Creative Directors.
- Ensure that artistic style is consistent with defined visual style for the game.
- 5+ years of post-secondary educational experience in 2D and 3D art production.
- Proven track record in at least 2 shipped titles (preferably AAA).
- Superior 2D and 3D art skills.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of cutting edge shader techniques.
- Excellent compositional skills and all-around artistic expertise and flare.
- Eagerness to learn new software tools and technologies.
- Ability to work in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints.
- Expertise in 3ds Max, Photoshop, or other technologies utilized in the production of game art.
- Strong technical background with ability to grasp new programs and systems quickly.
- Ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Creative nature with strong problem solving skills.
- Passion for Rockstar Games!