Jack. First of all, I want to apologize for offending you. We published this just to show how the tech could be used. We don't actually care about the message. But you do bring up a viable point, that for some people - this might be an issue, so I take this post down.
What European universities would you recommend?
How about you don't associate with a left leaning partisan news site assuming all video game artists lean the same way. I'll be blocking your content from here on out.
Santa Monica Studio, the one behind legendary God of War series, is looking for a Technical Art Director to join the team. The place is all about talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. Are you ready for a large degree of freedom and autonomy?
The melding of the artistic and the technical, that’s what drives you. In a sense, you have one foot in both worlds, but are facing the future: what tech do we need to make the best art possible? What tools do we need? What kind of people? These are the questions you ask yourself in setting team-wide artistic goals and driving toward them.
And you’re talented, really talented, and motivated, with tons of initiative. You get things done – and we leave you alone to do them. Is this a good fit for you? If so, give us a shout.
Santa Monica Studio
- Be a key contributor to the long-term vision for technical art and graphics in the studio.
- Ensure the content generation pipeline is well architected and allows the Art team to meet visual quality and performance goals.
- Drive state of the art visuals that complement the game design and help deliver an exceptional product on Playstation platforms.
- Work closely with the Programming, Technical Art, and Art teams to define, review, test and integrate new tools and processes to enable the art team to create stunning art.
- Develop and communicate technical art standards, best practices, and techniques.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to ensure alignment of tech art plans and project design requirements.
- Stay current with trends in computer graphics and relevant conference proceedings (e.g. SIGGRAPH, Eurographics, i3D, GDC).
- Mentor, guide, and lead less experienced tech artists.
- Advise on project-based purchases of development tools.
- Actively partner with studio leadership in recruiting and career development efforts.
- Minimum ten years of professional experience in computer-generated art, including proficiency in several of the following areas: physically based rendering, lighting, shading, material authoring, environment or character authoring, FX, performance analysis, graphics content optimization.
- Intimate knowledge of a 3D authoring tool like Maya or 3DS Max and expertise in MEL/Python/HLSL.
- Strong technical artist with a portfolio that demonstrates a keen eye for artistic direction.
- Solid understanding of 3D math and related concepts.
- Exceptional leadership and team management skills.
- Strong personal interest in video games and knowledge of industry trends and innovations.
- Commitment to quality, documentation, and sound testing procedures.
- Minimum of four console titles shipped, from concept to final.
- Enthusiasm and initiative.
- Excellent spoken and written communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Graphic Art or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of programming languages like C++ or C# is desirable.