Epic Games together with award-winning cinematographer Greig Fraser released 6 lighting presets, which can be matched with MetaHuman Creator.
Epic Games released six new character lighting presets available for free in Unreal Engine. The presets provide a match between Unreal and MetaHuman Creator – an app that allows creating photorealistic digital humans – making it easier for artists to develop characters in the context of their final lighting. The creators promise the presets are also great for general use in Unreal Engine projects for a stylized lighting look and feel.
The new lighting presets were developed with the help of award-winning cinematographer Greig Fraser, who has worked on Dune, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and Zero Dark Thirty.
Each preset is meant to highlight a certain side of a character:
- Portrait is inspired by studio beauty lighting;
- Split uses directional shadowing to provide something of the look of the old masters;
- Fireside gives the look of a natural warmth of firelight;
- Moonlight gives off an ethereal feeling;
- Tungsten helps achieve a look reminiscent of Blade Runner;
- Red Lantern was inspired by the 1991 Chinese film Raise the Red Lantern, which was widely acclaimed for its aesthetics.
The presents include 12 levels with lighting scenarios from MetaHuman Creator, 10 materials, and 4 textures. The presets are available for free to use in Unreal Engine 4.26 and 4.27.
Which preset is your favorite? Share your thoughts and join our new Reddit page, our new Telegram channel, follow us on Instagram and Twitter, where we are sharing breakdowns, the latest news, awesome artworks, and more.