I have being working in the AAA industry for tha last 3 years and the crunch is what is forcing me to find something else to do in life even if I love 3d. Some places may be more respectful with their employees but in my experience the crunch is even calculated in advance cause they know the workers will accept that. Some people is very passionate and don´t mind to do it and that is fine but a lot of people have families and they want to build a healthy environment with them or other goals outside the working ours. Not to mention non-payed overtime and other abuses I faced. Hope this industry fixs this problem.
Those tilesets are sexy. Seeing new tilesets is like getting introduced to a new lego set.
The guys from Capturing Reality have made an amazing present for developers and artists, who are using photogrammetry or other means of creating 3d assets with the help of photos. Right now you can download and use RealityCapture for commercial projects absolutely for free. You’ll be able to use the software free of charge until 31th of January 2015. To download the product you still need to register on the official website.
Here’s the official description of this tool:
RealityCapture is a state-of-the-art all-in-one software solution which automatically extracts beautiful and accurate 3D models from a set of ordinary images and / or laser-scans. Create a 3D model using images, laser scans, UAV or synchronized camera rigs. Mix various inputs to get a visually consistent triangular 3D model. Without any limitations.
- Reconstruction of parts of the scene that laser cannot see using images.
- Automatic filtration of moving objects.
- Automatic processing of registered/unregistered laser scans and/or images.
- Improving and making laser scans registration easy using photos and/or control points.
- Amazing speed, quality and accuracy.
- Parallel projections, DSM, geo-referencing, and coordinate system conversion.
- Unlimited number of scans, unlimited number of photos, unlimited number of point clouds, etc.
You can check out some of the tutorials about RealityCapture in this section.