Thanks, Allar! Good luck with your new project!
Who just carries around $250.000 worth of files on a portable hardrive without any backups.. The bug is stupid, but this guy is a moron.
Michael Allar here. Thanks a bunch for posting this, I really appreciate it. I'm also the guy who wrote that Confessions article that was posted here on 80.lvl as well.
SideFX has just released the newest version of its powerful package – Houdini 16.5. The updates a variety of new features and improvements in VFX, modeling, rendering, and UI.
“The SideFX R&D team has been packing a ton of new features and enhancements into Houdini and whether you’re using Houdini for film, TV, advertising, motion graphics, games, or something else – there’s a feature in there for everyone. I actually think of 16.5 as a full release, masquerading as a dot release.”
Kim Davidson, President and CEO, SideFX
For film, TV, advertising and motion graphics artists, the top new features and enhancements include:
- Narrow band fluids – ⅓ memory usage and 3X speed (compared to full band)
- Air incompressibility – for accurate bubble behaviour
- Optical flow – use 2D or 3D sources to drive any type of Houdini simulation
- Simulated muscle and flesh – point deform & FEM
- Crowds with partial ragdolls and quadruped support
- Grooming enhancements – flexible grooming, faster controls, and artist-friendly tools
For videogame developers and artists, the top new features and enhancements include:
- PolyReduce – improved reduction algorithm, preserve quads, reduction based on texture maps, geometry silhouettes or any other attributes
- UV layout – insanely tight packing
- Terrain – smoothly transplant a feature from one height field into another
- Rounded-edge rendering – generates beveled edge at render time, output to texture maps – rounded edge can also double as a mask for dirt maps
You can check the full links of Houdini 16.5 features over at the official website.
Houdini Core and Houdini FX – Houdini 16.5 can be downloaded from SideFX.com immediately with Houdini Core available for $1,995 USD and Houdini FX available for $4,495 USD. These prices include first year on the Annual Upgrade Plan.
Houdini Indie – Houdini Indie is also available for $199 USD per year. This version offers limited commercial usage for indie gamers and animators making up to $100K USD per year and cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini.
FREE Houdini Apprentice – For students and artists, SideFX has a free Houdini Apprentice Edition which allows non-commercial usage with a render restriction of 1280×720 and a watermark.