I have being working in the AAA industry for tha last 3 years and the crunch is what is forcing me to find something else to do in life even if I love 3d. Some places may be more respectful with their employees but in my experience the crunch is even calculated in advance cause they know the workers will accept that. Some people is very passionate and don´t mind to do it and that is fine but a lot of people have families and they want to build a healthy environment with them or other goals outside the working ours. Not to mention non-payed overtime and other abuses I faced. Hope this industry fixs this problem.
Those tilesets are sexy. Seeing new tilesets is like getting introduced to a new lego set.
One of the dream teams called Naughty Dog is looking for a skilled Technical Environment Artist to join the party. You will work on creating tools to improve the environment team’s efficiency — Maya scripts, standalone scripts and software. And that’s not all. Check out the details below and grab the chance.
- Create tools to improve the environment team’s efficiency. This includes Maya scripts, but also standalone scripts and software
- Work with the engineering team to develop features, both for the game engine and for tools/asset pipelines. Help ensure feature interfaces are user-friendly
- Develop visual features of the game, whether that’s writing shader code, pioneering new asset creation techniques, or creating technical prototypes and mockups
- Help the team develop workflows and standards for efficient content generation
- Support the content team in debugging issues with the game, tools, etc
- Help drive framerate and memory optimization of the game
- Work with other art departments (characters, vfx, animation, etc) to ensure all dependencies are met
- Create small sections of our game environments. Create art assets that require high technical skill or specialist knowledge
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Intermediate programming experience with scripting languages (MEL/Python/Etc) and shading languages. Experience in C++ or related languages is a plus
- Strong artistic background and content development skills. (Can be modeling, texturing, lighting, or any other area where you have experience, but a strong artistic eye is a necessity!)
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- High-level familiarity with every aspect of game development, and how different disciplines collaborate
- Good oral and written skills
- 3+ years of production experience (Maya preferred)
As a part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.