The positions are available for senior and mid-level artists.
Insomniac Games – the developer behind Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank, and Marvel's Spider-Man – is looking for VFX Managers and VFX Artists at several seniority levels. Houdini experts are especially welcome. Both remote and on-site positions are available.
Visual Effects Artist responsibilities:
- Creates, designs, and implements real-time particle effects using both static and animating 2D/3D elements.
- Placing of visual FX across all areas of the game, including environmental and gameplay FX, and cinematics.
- Create FX textures (color, normal, specular, ambient occlusion, height, and incandescent maps.)
- Understands fundamentals of simulations in software packages like Houdini, Embergen or equivalent.
- Creates FX shaders with node-based shader networks.
- Creates simple geometry and UV sets.
- Optimizes FX for framerate and memory.
- Collaborates with other development departments to ensure that FX are implemented appropriately in the game engine.
- Understands and adds to the overall art style of game.
- Orchestrates FX events involving layering and timing of different FX to create a believable scene.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Five plus years of professional experience or training, or an equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Proficient in Maya, competent working with joints and locators, keyframing, rigid body simulations, hard surface modeling, and UV mapping.
- Proficient in Photoshop for painting and editing textures.
- Proficient with node-based shader networks.
- Knowledge of other visual effects software is a plus.
- Strong team skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong observation skills and ability to use reference materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficient Animation and timing skills.
- Solid traditional arts background is a plus.