Great stuff. And many thanks for those tuts by Jason! They helped me a lot.
Those animations look amazing!! Great job!
Very cool review of the making of Spellbreak. Would be even more cool to see some videos inside UE4 showing how they do a few very specific things unique to them.
Lincoln Hughes shared a video preview of his upcoming pack for Unreal that will be released in a couple of days. You can currently pre-purchase the material pack from Gumroad. The video shows how you can use various features of the artist’s Landscape Auto-Material to build your own massive worlds.
Basically, the pack removes the technical side of UE4’s landscape creation, so it definitely might come in handy.
- Procedural foliage generation per layer – automatically generates where you paint – with the option of removing it where you want
- Blended Tessellation (Displacement) between multiple material layers
- 3 layer procedural auto-texturing, based off of terrain slope angle
- Procedural water height mask with shore material/foliage generation
- Distance blend between different UVs to reduce tiling
- Comes with over 2.5 hours of tutorial video, including material/scene optimization examples
- Optional World-Machine support for Flow-maps, with tweakable colors per layer (Flow on Rock can be grey, Flow on Grass can be green, etc)
- Optional World-Machine support for distance textures – albedo/roughness/normal
- Includes a Foliage Master material that you can combine your World-Machine diffuse with (Matches the color of the grass with the color of your terrain texture)
- Top Layer (Grass in the example) macro-variation masks give you the ability to have two types of material on one layer and spawn procedural foliage on both. Useful for flower variations, etc
- Paintable puddle material
- Optional World-Space Coordinates (Tri-Planar) for all layers
- The shader is commented on and organized – easier to understand and learn from
- The product comes with an example map and some free assets from Epic’s Kite demo, all for testing purposes
- Grass ground texture – made by CCO textures
- Sky texture – made by HDRI Haven
You can learn more here. Discuss the pack in the comments below.