Here's a useful placement tool to save time in Unreal Engine.
Check out the Mesh Clustering Placement tool for UE4 that lets users automatically place meshes in scenes according to specified rules. "Meshes placement is executed by grouping meshes in clusters, so the result looks natural, as if done by hand," states the developer.
The tool is said to increase the speed of the environment design process and art workflows in editor, supporting an automatic way to populate rooms, buildings, outdoor spaces with props.
- Procedurally place meshes grouped into clusters.
- Generate interiors in one click via complicated placement rules.
- The tool can be used for shelf/locker/table stuffing.
- The tool uses visible meshes as colliding obstacles during meshes placement, simple collisions aren't required.
- Sort meshes by size and spawn large meshes first.
- Floor\Ceiling\Wall snapping with random offsets.
- Configurable plainness of surfaces treated as floor\ceiling\wall.
- The meshes spawned by the tool are Static Mesh Actors. The tool runs neither in the realtime nor in the construction script, because it's Editor Utility Actor, so it doesn't exist on the level in the packed game.
- The tool is created entirely in blueprints.