I've never heard of isolating the green channel of the normal map and using it as a paint layer. What effect does that create exactly?
WARNING They dont listen to their users as much as they like to say they do. Check their forums. Plenty of requests go unanswered. Their "To Do" list has been outdated. They lack staple features such as a Text Tool, Adjustment Layers, Channels, Layer Styling, Proper Cropping. Paintstorm cant even resize a photo correctly (It will always leave a border when resizes). You also run into square artifacts occasionally. There have also been several instances were paintstorm was detected as malware, once called out, the dev reuploads a clean version. This happened at least twice from forum reports and Virus Total. Aside from the very obvious lack of support and maintinence. The brush system is good. However a good brush engine will not replace the other basic features and functions paintstorm lacks. DO NOT expect support. This is definitely a homegrown app and it shows. If you want a versatile brush engine, clip studio or even krita is where its at.
Ornatrix 3dsmax V5 has been released. The next version of hair, fur, and feathers software comes with tons of new features and improvements. Guide editing workflow, hair data channel management, and groom flexibility are now even better.
- New parametric guide data modifier for LOD and easy control of groom components
- Hair from particles object adds another dimension to making hair by tracing any 3dsmax particle system
- Alembic cache import for applying and layering baked hair animations
- Strand propagation improvements keep the hair relationships intact down the evaluation pipeline for easier feathers and vegetation
- Mirroring and brush-specific settings significantly improve brush-based workflow
- Surface comb sink mirroring and control over shape and rotations make styling fur faster and better
- Push away from surface modifier keeps the hair out of any object to improve realism
- Single-button detaching of a groom allows you to edit base surface meshes in any way you like while keeping the hair intact
- Single-button locking to surface future proofs your grooms and makes rendering consistent across different systems
- New curve ramp diagrams with presets give you greater control across many Ornatrix parameters
- Single-button vertex color or guide channel creation makes connecting hair attributes to your object data a snap
There are many more features and fixes to find in V5 change log.
You can get Ornatrix for $499. The update is free for those who got the software in the past 6 months. You can also check out a free demo version. Find more information here.