Hi Elliott, This is a great breakdown and very generous in sharing your process and insights, you came a long way from the vending machine days!
Are you planning on releasing the UE4 project to the public? Or only builds? I'd love to play around with it in the editor if possible!
Check out a mind-blowing set “Photorealistic Landscapes Pack 3” by Gokhan Karadayi that features highly detailed 64 km2 (8×8 km). You can use these 5 high-quality landscapes for all kinds of next-gen games.
- 2 Canyons Landscape
- 1 Desert Landscape
- 2 Afghan Mountains Landscape
- 64km2 (8×8) Landscapes (Painted with rock and vegetations)
- High quality 8K HeightMap and SplatMaps.
- 42 High quality ground texture (Diffuse, Normal, Specular Maps 2048×2048)
- 8 Big cliff meshes
- 8 Rock meshes
- 33 Plants meshes
- 9 ground rock meshes
- 1 River mesh
- 3 Master material and 4 instanced material
- NEW material system
- Physically Based Materials
- Auto-painted landscape material
- Easy and understandable material
- New rock and cliff models (3D Scan)
- New textures
- New atmosphere settings
- Easy customization with Landscape instance materials.
- Parallax Occlusion Mapping Materials
- Automatic 3d Mesh generation (Different layers)
- Automatic blending layers using a heightmap.
- Automatic slope variation
- 8×8 km (64 km2)
- High Frame per Second (FPS)
Intended Platforms: Desktop, Console