Doesn't they say the same thing about photography when it was emerging? ;)
Agreed. This is just depressing and is a detriment to society. If this keeps advancing at its current rate, good art will be so trivial to generate that it won't be special anymore. Art will slowly morph into a banal distraction, with creating an original piece being as easy as applying an Instagram filter. The role of the human artist will change from a craftsperson to someone who picks a bunch of parameters, gives it to the AI, and chooses the best output. This type of technology is a threat to the very existence of art as a craft, will completely devalue artwork, and will make the journey of training to become an artist obsolete. I hate these researchers for what they're doing to a field that I love.
I disagree. There will always be demand for real artists. Like any other digital software, this is just a tool with the possibility to help artists create compelling worlds faster and add realism that would otherwise have taken days to make using other methods. As a 3D character artist, I would love to use this to create quick backdrops to place my characters in to enhance final renders.
What’s up with Substance Source? The team released 70 hybrid scans of various grounds and walls: sandy beaches, rocky ridges covered with seaweed, old stone cottage walls, moldy wood docks and more. The new set is all about the summer. Winter is just around the corner, so take deep breath and enjoy some heartwarming memories with the help of high-quality materials in 4K.
Here is what we achieved:
- We captured a total of 7671 images in 36MP resolution of more than 50 different environments from organic and natural scenes like beaches and pine forest floors as well as more urban landscapes like walls, roads and doors.
- Each texture is an aggregate of 60 to 200 images. From all the rushes we assembled the data into a pre-processing pipeline to create orthophotos with information about color and terrain elevation.
- Various scale textures ranging from 50cm x 50cm to 3mx3m. And this is just the beginning.
- We created custom templates in Substance Designer to crop, tile and clean the image inputs in 8K resolution (the only limitation here is your hardware).
- Our pipeline automatically performs image delighting operations as well as height corrections from pre-processed maps directly in Substance Designer.
You can find more details on the latest update here.