Great job and very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.
Frankly I do not understand why we talk about the past of this CEO. As a player I do not care about what he did or not until his games are good. As an Environmental Artist instead I see a game with a shaky graphics. It is completely without personality, emotion and involvement. It can hardly be considered acceptable especially for the 2019 platforms (which I understand will be the target of this game). Well, this is probably an indie group, with no experience facing a first game in the real market. And that's fine. Do the best you can that even if you fail, you will learn and do better. From a technical point of view the method you are using is very old. It can work but not as you are doing it. I bet you're using Unity, it's easy to see that since I see assets from their asset store. Break your landscapes more, they are too monotonous and contact real 3D artists and level designers. One last thing, the last screenshot is worse than all the previous ones. The lights are wrong and everything screams disaster. Avoid similar disasters in the future.
But are they real or is it a mockery? or a scam? Truly horrible flat graphics and lacking a real sense of aesthetics. Ui devoid of consistency and usability. Do they really have a graphic art department? Imho in 2018 using such tricks so massively denotes profound technical incompetence.
Blender packing algorithm is not perfect, we all know that, right? That’s why you would probably like a new add-on called UVPackmaster. It is a new efficient UV packing solution with an algorithm written in C++ and running as a separate multi-threaded application. Let’s check out its possibilities.
The add-on is available in two versions: basic and extended. The functionalities provided by the two versions are depicted are listed below:
- efficient packing algorithm: basic and extended
- multi-threading support: basic and extended
- measure area of selected islands: basic and extended
- check for overlapping islands: basic and extended
- rotate islands to achieve better packing: extended only
- heuristic search algorithm: extended only
- pack for a non-squared texture: extended only
- pack new islands into an existing packing: extended only
The basic version is available for free. You still can make a donation when downloading the basic version in order to reward our work, but we generally recommend buying the extended version.
Why is the extended version worth buying:
- first of all, by buying the extended version you support our work and motivate us to develop this project further,
- you can achieve much better packing when rotations are considered (note the presentation video shown above was recorded using the extended version),
- when new features are implemented the add-on price may increase, but in order to get the update you will only have to pay the difference between the new price and the amount you have already paid
New functionalities planned to be implemented include:
- packing additional islands to those already packed (DONE in version 1.2)
- grouping islands by material.
Iterations: number describing how exact the algorithm will be when searching for island placement.
Margin: margin to apply during packing.
Rotation Enable: allow packer to rotate islands in order to achieve better result.
Pre-rotation Disable: disable the initial rotation of islands before generating other orientations. The pre-rotation operation usually optimizes packing, use this option only if you have a good reason
Rotation Step: rotation step in degrees to apply during packing.
Automatic Overlap Check: automatically check for overlapping islands after packing is done.
Heuristic Search Time: the time in seconds the add-on will spend searching the optimal packing solution using the heuristic algorithm. Value ‘0’ means the feature is disabled. This feature is most useful when a single packing pass doesn’t take much time (a few seconds). Use it with a limited number of islands and with limited island orientations considered (‘Rotation Resolution’ == 1). The current heuristic algorithm is most efficient for packing UV maps containing limited number of big islands of irregular shape.
Use Texture Ratio: take into consideration the ratio of the active texture dimensions during packing.
Pack To Others: add selected islands into those already packed in the unit UV square (no scaling will be applied).
You can learn more about the tool here.