Hi Elliott, This is a great breakdown and very generous in sharing your process and insights, you came a long way from the vending machine days!
Are you planning on releasing the UE4 project to the public? Or only builds? I'd love to play around with it in the editor if possible!
Blizzard is looking for a highly motivated and talented Character Modeler to join its Overwatch art team in Irvine, California.
- Create both high resolution 3D sculpts and final low polygon game assets
- Couple hand painted textures and next-gen materials for use in game engine
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via prototyping and group critiques
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in game development as an artist specializing in character / organic modeling using Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush or Mudbox.
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- Demonstrated proficiency in traditional hard-surface poly modeling techniques
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Self-motivation, superior communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- passion for video games
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay oriented goals
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or technical art
- Experience with Allegorithmic Substance Painter
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a character artist
Submission / Portfolio requirements
- Cover Letter is required
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album).
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so