The MSG Sphere is like nothing else on earth. Here, 15,000 people at a time can gather for multi-sensory interactive experiences that are equal parts video game, amusement park ride, ephemeral community, and spectacle. The feel – it’s unforgettable, like sitting inside an eyeball the size of three football fields with sight, sound, scent, wind, heat, and rumble coordinating under computer control to forge an extended reality. You create that reality at MSG Entertainment in Burbank, California.
The Color Supervisor role requires ownership and experience across the entire color pipeline from capture to ingest through VFX and into final DI, QC, and playback. This position requires a hands-on leader who can help recruit and lead an LA-based color and finishing team while interfacing with other MSG departments and vendors to guide their process and integrate their efforts with those happening in parallel with LA. In addition to supervising all color-related activities in the creation of content for Sphere shows, this role will require a leader who can establish, manage and expand an end-to-end color pipeline.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Architect, design and plan Sphere color pipeline from capture to playback.
- Create custom color viewing and processing solutions for projects.
- Actively collaborate with department heads, artists and crew from compositing, editorial, texturing, lookdev and pipeline.
- Work with core image pipeline team to integrate color management workflow and processes within sub-pipeline and tool sets that meet Sphere’s color and resolution requirements.
- Establish display calibration specifications, evaluate and recommend new display hardware and work with outside vendors as needed.
- Actively participate in recruiting world-class freelance and staff colorists and technicians.
- Lead and mentor a team of color artists and technicians.
- College degree preferred or additional production certificate programs.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in coloring, digital compositing, and digital imagery across a variety of content including film, advertising and commercials.
- Knowledge of ACES color workflows and custom camera color pipelines and DI processing techniques.
- Expertise in Resolve, BaseLight, Scratch, Nucoda, or similar color correction platforms.
- Experience with camera hardware and metadata formats, as well as onset color data management solutions.
- Working familiarity with 3D and 2D DCCs, including Maya, Houdini, C4D, Nuke, Fusion, and After Effects, as well as NLEs such as Resolve, Avid, and Premiere Pro.
- Expert knowledge of lighting and rendering color pipelines and experience with Arnold, Redshift, VRay, Octane, or other common render engines.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, take criticism, and work under high pressure with tight deadlines while maintaining team cohesion.
- Previous experience as Colorist of live action films, cinema, experiences – ideal candidate has deep color background on LED surfaces from post to mastering.
The Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement.
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred. Educational requirements may differ from job to job based on the role.
With MSG Sphere, we are creating an entirely new medium that will deliver immersive entertainment experiences at an unparalleled scale. Beyond a venue, Sphere is a multi-sensory platform with experiential technology programming directly to your senses. You will see in ways never imagined, hear with every fiber of your being, and experience like never before. To deliver on this promise, we are building the largest immersive venue in the world, MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas, with a second Sphere venue planned for London, pending necessary approvals. To create immersive experiences, and content unique to Sphere, we are growing our full-stack creative, experience, design, production and engineering team across our Burbank studio in Los Angeles and Ventures headquarters in New York.
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required.