The MSG Sphere is like nothing else on earth. Here, 15,000 people at a time can gather for multi-sensory interactive experiences that are equal parts video game, amusement park ride, ephemeral community, and spectacle. The feel – it’s unforgettable, like sitting inside an eyeball the size of three football fields with sight, sound, scent, wind, heat, and rumble coordinating under computer control to forge an extended reality. You create that reality at MSG Entertainment in Burbank, California.
As a Concept Artist at MSG Entertainment Interactive, you develop entertainment that’s equal parts video game, amusement park ride, and spectacle. Your target platform is The Sphere – a massive 16K 4D theater with beam-formed audio – and the mobile phones of our guests. You build from specifications and team objectives and iterate to eventual production-quality deliverables. You’re part of a veteran cross-functional team and learning from each other every day. As an ideal candidate, you bring a solid artistic foundation in 2D and 3D art and a broad range of skills including gameplay, environments, characters, props, and marketing materials. You have a passion for gaming and have the ability to create immersive, exciting work.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Brainstorm, R&D, and help implement pipeline workflow
- You will work with others to establish best practices and documentation around level look, layout, and lighting
- Work with our art director, and character artists to create engaging characters and creatures in multiple styles
- Create a diverse range of characters on specific elements such as outfits, hairstyles, and facial stylization
- Design creatures, props, and visual effects concepts
- Design original concepts that fit within the project style guide
- Translate high-level ideas into production-ready art packets
- Enhance existing concepts with detail views, paintovers, turnarounds, and material references
- Maintain art, while providing a variety of ideas
- Provide in-depth research, reference material, and develop conceptual ideas
- Create lighting schemes and color palettes that capture the tone of the world
- Develop stylistic consistency for all experiences
- Minimum of 3 years in full-cycle AAA game development
- Create concepts and color studies from scratch
- Passion for character design
- Traditional illustration skills in multiple medias and excellent drawing skills, and matte painting experience
- Experience with storytelling and concept development
- Work within specific styles, including a style set by the art director
- Experience in 3D modeling or sculpting packages such as 3dsmax, Maya, Blender, ZBrush, or 3D Coat
- Proficient with Unreal Engine, including Unreal Cascade, Niagara, and the material editor
- Experience with both real-time and static lighting set-ups
- Experience with post-process effects and how to create them
- Experience with how environment lighting affects experiences
- Trained eye to call out opportunities for interesting lighting, color, and detail
- Knowledge of working with physically based rendering
- Passion for pushing fidelity and refining lighting techniques as technology changes
- Must be passionate about games
The Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement.
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred. Educational requirements may differ from job to job-based on the role.
With MSG Sphere, we are creating an entirely new medium that will deliver immersive entertainment experiences at an unparalleled scale. Beyond a venue, Sphere is a multi-sensory platform with experiential technology programming directly to your senses. You will see in ways never imagined, hear with every fiber of your being, and experience like never before. To deliver on this promise, we are building the largest immersive venue in the world, MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas, with a second Sphere venue planned for London, pending necessary approvals.
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required.