Toast VR is looking for a rockstar Environment Artist with a focus on stylised art to join work on an exciting new VR title. If you are self driven, with a keen eye for detail and a passion for environmental storytelling, this is the perfect new role for you.
About Us @ Toast VR.
We are a family owned company located in the heart and the excitement of the beautiful Gold Coast in Australia.
We specialise in VR games, including the famous Richie’s Plank Experience which has been a global best seller for the last 6 years.
We are focused on a culture of positive work-life integration and we operate with a social conscience.
We aren’t just making games. We are making games that create impact on the world and we are looking for our next rockstar environment artist to help us!
About The Role
This is a full time role with flexible work options (and relocation benefits on offer!) meaning you can work onsite, remotely or a combination of both. If you are located locally we’d love you to come into the office at least 1 day per week.
You’ll find that working with us is different.
We don’t just talk about team collaboration and shared ideas… we actually do it every day! Your ideas, creativity and input will be welcomed and valued.
This role is for an experienced Environmental Artist to bring their experience to our business and take on an important role in the development of our next VR game for PlayStation VR, Oculus Quest and PC headsets (secret code name is currently “Matilda”).
You’ll be joining a crew of enthusiastic and committed developers in our Burleigh office and you’ll have an influential role in key development decisions as we move through the production phase of our title.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Accurately translate concept art to a 3D environment using a pre-designed level blockout
- Set dress and upgrade existing environments
- Creating and maintaining modular sets
- Creating and maintaining prefabs
- Environment lighting
- Aiding with the optimisation of assets and levels
- Maintain a balance between visual quality and performance requirements
You’ll be the sort of person who naturally works in a highly focused way with a natural attention to detail, always maintaining a balance between visual quality and performance requirements.
Depending on your level of experience and passion for mentoring others, there is an opportunity to mentor and guide junior artists if this is of interest to you.
More About You
- You have a minimum of 3 years experience creating 3D content for games or equivalent role in animation & film
- You have advanced knowledge of content creation tools such as Maya, 3DS Max or Blender
- You are competent with Zbrush, Substance Painter and Photoshop
- You are comfortable developing in Unity
- You are able to work independently and QA your own work
- You have strong verbal and written English skills
- You have amazing time management skills and you know how to prioritis
- You are self motivated, proactive and you can speak up and share your opinion.
- You can work from our office at least 1 days per week or if you don’t want to relocate to the Gold Coast, you’ll join us for an in-person day at least once per month
- You enjoy collaborating and working with others and succeeding as a team
- You have a genuine interest in VR is essential
- …. BONUS points if you have any of these things >> a passion for stylized art, enjoy platforming games, have knowledge of node based programs such Houdini and Substance Designer, have experience with VR &/or mobile game development or have worked on a published title
Please note that we will happily consider anyone who doesn’t meet all of our list but has the minimum experience creating 3D content and brings a genuine passion and talent.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion:
We are an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we’re taking steps to meet that commitment. We highly encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of colour, LGBTQIA+ folks, veterans, and people with disabilities.