Doesn't they say the same thing about photography when it was emerging? ;)
Agreed. This is just depressing and is a detriment to society. If this keeps advancing at its current rate, good art will be so trivial to generate that it won't be special anymore. Art will slowly morph into a banal distraction, with creating an original piece being as easy as applying an Instagram filter. The role of the human artist will change from a craftsperson to someone who picks a bunch of parameters, gives it to the AI, and chooses the best output. This type of technology is a threat to the very existence of art as a craft, will completely devalue artwork, and will make the journey of training to become an artist obsolete. I hate these researchers for what they're doing to a field that I love.
I disagree. There will always be demand for real artists. Like any other digital software, this is just a tool with the possibility to help artists create compelling worlds faster and add realism that would otherwise have taken days to make using other methods. As a 3D character artist, I would love to use this to create quick backdrops to place my characters in to enhance final renders.
The team is looking for talented animators to help them create compelling gameplay for The Last of Us Part II.
- Create character motions through a blend of key-frame animation and motion capture with our proprietary animation tools
- Work with designers and programmers to implement and iterate on these motions to create compelling, entertaining, and visually appealing gameplay and/or cinematic events
- Learn and utilize custom tools and basic scripting
- Additional duties may be assigned as needed
- Have experience animating with motion capture
- Have experience working on gameplay and/or interactive animation
- Have extensive experience animating realistic humans
- Have a good sense of weight and timing in your animation performances
- Have a good understanding of acting principles and basic camera staging.
- Be comfortable working with minimal direction
- Be a creative, innovative problem solver
- Be organized, productive, and a good communicator
- Be flexible with making edits and revisions based on gameplay requirements
- Have the ability to grasp new technology quickly and get the most out of it
- Must be able to provide a demo reel or examples of professional work (Online preferred), a breakdown of your contributions to the shot, and an accompanying resume