I really like how you've articulated your entire process. This was a very enriching read. A Well deserved feature!
Great article! Thanks for the awesome read.
Wow, this is so cool! Nice job!
Environment Artist for Santa Monica Studio
– Supports the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio. Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the art production pipeline and all engine, tools and systems associated with the creation of art assets.
– Content creation, including environment 2D texture map painting, 3D modeling/sculpting, material setup/UV layout, and lighting according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals.
– Maintain the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
– Maintain a working knowledge of the games design to support communication and allow better participation in discussions.
– Facilitates research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet defined goals.
– Facilitates requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the environment/level art creation process as requested.
– Capable of resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
– Actively develops skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
– Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
– Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
– At least 2-4 years industry experience preferred.
– Traditional fine art skills and training (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design).
– Highly proficient in the use of Maya (or equivalent 3D modeling package) and Photoshop.
– Z-Brush/Mudbox/Substance Painter experience desirable.
– Some experience with environmental V.F.X implementation desirable.
– Some familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, surface sampling, particle systems, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, sfx, and engine parameters/optimizations desirable.
– Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
– Proven ability to follow existing guidelines, policies, procedures or project parameters.
– Previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable.
– B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset.