@Tristan: I studied computergrafics for 5 years. I'm making 3D art now since about half a year fulltime, but I had some experience before that. Its hard to focus on one thing, it took me half a year to understand most of the vegetation creation pipelines. For speeding up your workflow maybe spend a bit time with the megascans library. Making 3D vegetation starts from going outside for photoscanns to profiling your assets. Start with one thing and master this. @Maxime: The difference between my technique and Z-passing on distant objects is quiet the same. (- the higher vertex count) I would start using this at about 10-15m+. In this inner radius you are using (mostly high) cascaded shadows, the less the shader complexety in this areas, the less the shader instructions. When I started this project, the polycount was a bit to high. Now I found the best balance between a "lowpoly" mesh and the less possible overdraw. The conclusion of this technique is easily using a slightly higher vertex count on the mesh for reducing the quad overdraw and shader complexity. In matters visual quality a "high poly" plant will allways look better than a blade of grass on a plane.
Is this not like gear VR or anything else
The team is looking for a highly talented, motivated, and experienced Lead Character Artist for a AAA project based in their Quebec-city studio.
- Leading the development of high-quality AAA characters
- Creation and maintenance of a prospering art culture and technical guidance within the Character Art Team, through training, mentoring, and reviewing assets for quality
- Ensuring a productive internal workflow and beneficial relationships with external partners
- Prioritizing and managing the Character Art Team’s tasks to ensure that deliverables are completed on time and to specifications through stand-ups and synchronization meetings to communicate vision and needs with other teams
- Organizing work and backlog using project management/ planning tools i.e. Jira
- Working together with producers, leads, directors and external teams to push project quality
- Balancing quality and efficiency of character work to reach the best results within given time frames
- 8+ years game industry production experience, 3+ years in a lead role
- Multiple shipped AAA titles, with at least one in a Lead role
- Working knowledge of Zbrush, 3ds Max, Maya, Adobe Photoshop CC, and/or other modeling, rigging, material and texture creation tools
- Knowledge of additional software such as Substance Painter and Designer, Marvelous Designer
- Physically based rendering expertise
- Experience with next-gen game development