About Roboto Games
Hi! We’re Roboto Games, a minty fresh venture-backed games company. Before this, we were leading games at PopCap, EA, and Space Ape. And this isn’t our first rodeo/game studio. In 2007 we founded ZipZapPlay, a web and Facebook gaming company (we baked lots of cupcakes while making Baking Life), which we sold to PopCap (zombies also eat cupcakes it turns out) before they sold to EA in 2011. Since then we’ve also contributed to several mobile game hits. On average, we have 12 years of experience designing games with over $100m in revenue and over 65m players.
At Roboto, our mission is to make games that are good alone and great together. Our games are real-time multiplayer and cross-platform, so friends can easily play together. Our upcoming title is a bite-size survival/crafting MMO that will also include the option to own web3 digital assets (such as NFTs). We believe in making inclusive hybrid free-to-play and -own games that are fun for years and that will appeal to a broad range of players. Whether it’s on mobile, web, or PC you and your friends can play together anytime and anywhere.
As if that wasn’t enough, we aim to make our games fully moddable so that anyone can create their own amazing content, and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for a Lead Character Concept Artist who loves the idea of building a platform to enable both professional and hobbyist creators to design amazing experiences for others.
If that sounds like fun, then join us! You should also join us if you like wizards, zombies, and unicorns, but not necessarily in that order.
All that sounds great you say? What do I need to do? Glad you asked!
- Fill a key role on a small team by breathing life and personality into the characters for a new and epic fantasy universe on Mobile and PC platforms!
- Design a wide variety of stylized characters, equipment, weapons, accessories, and clothing ranging from specific one-off heroes and creatures to building out a customizable character component library
- Work closely with Game Designers, Art Directors, and 3d artists to interpret high-level visual direction and gameplay functionality while contributing your own ideas in a highly collaborative environment
- Research, collect, and organize reference materials
- Create and manage all conceptual sketches, turnarounds, color roughs, and final illustrations related to the character pipeline
- Collaborate with 3D artists by supplying detailed briefs, paint overs, studies, and group critiques so they can consistently bring your designs to life
- Develop and maintain documentation for the character design language, color palettes, tools, and templates for a cohesive art style
- Work with outsourcing partnerships to achieve consistent quality within project constraints
- Deliver tasks in a timely manner based on project schedules and deadlines
- Contribute creative and original ideas toward all aspects of game production
- Minimum of 5+ years experience in game development focusing on concept art
- At least 1 shipped 3D title in a Character Design role developing 3D characters for mobile and PC
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating a strong foundation in drawing, rendering, composition, lighting, color value, shape language, anatomy, and emotional storytelling
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Suite or equivalent 2D graphics programs
- Strong understanding of human anatomy with the ability to create stylized and appealing characters
- Strong communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English
- Be able to work autonomously but proactively seek direction
Nice to haves
- Art degree or equivalent training
- Leadership experience on shipped mobile games
- Experience with 3D programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Blender
- Experience with other areas of game art such as visual effects, animation, environment, or marketing art
- History of playing a variety of game genres both digital and physical
- Experience working on a character customization pipeline
Why work with Roboto Games?
As a member of a small team, your voice will be heard and you will have an immense impact on our games and community
Make games that you can play with your friends. Make games you can play on your phone, on your PC, or on your mom’s Chromebook. You get the idea
Work alongside a diverse group of game industry game veterans with 12+ years of experience
Work from anywhere as long as you have enough overlapping hours with the Pacific timezone (plus or minus 3 hours for this position)
Occasionally travel to Roboto’s HQ in California for work weeks and company offsites (attending remotely will always be supported)
Full-time role with benefits (4 weeks of paid time off, stock options, health, dental, vision, charitable donation matching)
What’s not to like?
You may apply via the 80.lv talent platform or email your resume and portfolio to email@example.com