The MSG Sphere is like nothing else on earth. Here, 15,000 people at a time can gather for multi-sensory interactive experiences that are equal parts video game, amusement park ride, ephemeral community, and spectacle. The feel – it’s unforgettable, like sitting inside an eyeball the size of three football fields with sight, sound, scent, wind, heat, and rumble coordinating under computer control to forge an extended reality. You create that reality at MSG Entertainment in Burbank, California.
As a Lead Environment Artist at MSG Entertainment Interactive, you develop entertainment that’s equal parts video game, amusement park ride, and spectacle. Your target platform is The Sphere – a massive 16K 4D theater with beam-formed audio – and the mobile phones of our guests. You build from specifications and team objectives and iterate to eventual production-quality deliverables. You’re part of a veteran cross-functional team and learning from each other every day. As an ideal candidate, you bring a solid artistic foundation in 3D art and a broad range of skills including gameplay, props, and real-time and standard production art pipelines. You have a passion for gaming and have the ability to create immersive, exciting work.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Work closely with the Art Director and others to maintain stunning visual style and quality
- Manage the delivery of 3D assets for your level or feature, including creating assets from scratch
- Create documentation when working with external development teams and feedback on work received
- Promote and enforce structure, such as naming conventions and documentation
- Work with leads to design fluid workflows for teammates across multiple disciplines
- Minimum of 4 years in full-cycle AAA game development
- Experienced with at least one title from concept to final delivery
- Experienced in current generation industry-standard tools and workflows, such as Maya, Substance Painter and physically based rendering (PBR)
- Ability to interpret and transform abstract ideas and concepts into compelling work
- Ability to create a low-poly model within poly budget and efficiently unwrap the UVs for texturing
- Strong and relevant 3D and 2D toolsets
- Track record of working collaboratively between different departments
- Excellent texture creation skills
- Aware of memory and technical constraints while working, and can balance visual quality with performance
- Experienced with asset backlog planning and scoping work with guidelines provided by other departments to ensure quality, playability, and performance
- Must be passionate about games
The Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement.
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred. Educational requirements may differ from job to job-based on the role.
With MSG Sphere, we are creating an entirely new medium that will deliver immersive entertainment experiences at an unparalleled scale. Beyond a venue, Sphere is a multi-sensory platform with experiential technology programming directly to your senses. You will see in ways never imagined, hear with every fiber of your being, and experience like never before. To deliver on this promise, we are building the largest immersive venue in the world, MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas, with a second Sphere venue planned for London, pending necessary approvals. To create immersive experiences, and content unique to Sphere, we are growing our full-stack creative, experience, design, production, and engineering team across our Burbank studio in Los Angeles and Ventures headquarters in New York.
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required.