Insomniac Games is searching for its next Lead Level Designer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Works to make a high-level direction from the Creative Director a reality, and work with the other project leads to meet these goals
- Works with Game Director and/or Design Director to establish concrete plan/s to accomplish the design goals of the project
- Leading the team to craft unique geometry that allows for level composition to form memorable experiences.
- Communicates level design goals for the project to team members and ensure they are understood
- Manages design team and mentor individual designers, establishing goals for individuals and holding them accountable
- Works with the Director of Design and/or Design Director to establish design processes; carry out implementation of those processes across the design team
- Works with project management to schedule design planning and implementation
- Performs reviews of game levels and provide feedback to the team
- Works closely with all departments to investigate solutions that best fit with the product's goals, and ultimate goals of the game
- Ensures all design and implementation deliverables are up to Insomniac's high standards of quality
- Checks development progress against milestone deliverables and, if necessary, correct course
- Identifies design gaps and work with the design team to find solutions
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises design team. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems, in conjunction with the Director of Design.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completed work on several published game titles.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with level editing tools and scripting (Unreal Engine, Unity, or similar editors).
- Intermediate knowledge of Maya or other major 3D modeling programs.
- Adobe Illustrator experience and Photoshop skills are a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.