The team is seeking a Lead Artist, Materials who has a passion for creating industry leading materials across all content.
- Work with Director of Art, Principle Lighting Artist, World Art Manager, and Lead Artist, Character on the development and maintenance of our material library across all game content.
- Work with the Technical art team on shader pipelines and tools development needed to effectively and efficiently share materials across all relevant content.
- Create high-quality benchmark material examples using substance designer/painter or equivalent software that establish visual targets during prototype phase and beyond.
- Work with Production on prototype and future project dependencies, scheduling and management of scope capacity for the Material Team.
- Review project specific materials across all relevant project content on a regular basis to ensure optimal implementation and high-quality output.
Skills & Requirements
- BA in art or related field or equivalent experience
- 8+ years working as an environment/material artist with a keen focus on creating materials and textures for next gen AAA games
- 3+ years as a lead or equivalent leadership role.
- At least 3 shipped AAA titles.
- At least 8+ years’ experience with industry standard 3-D animation package (3D Studio Max, Motion Builder, and Maya)
- Expert knowledge of Substance Painter and Designer.
- Strong understanding of PBR lighting models and its interaction with materials.
- At least 5+ years of ZBrush and/or other digital sculpting tools.
- Excellent understanding of a variety of architectural styles with an ability to apply knowledge from historical references.
- Excellent understanding of geology, rock formations, terrain, and foliage.
- Strong understanding of foundation art fundamentals including; color theory, composition, internal/external silhouette, and value structures.
- Strong understanding of new gen shader technology with an ability to create a wide range of highly realistic materials.
- Strong experience and understanding of art pipelines with experience in development for Xbox One and/or PS4.
- Must have an active, passionate interest in current video games to help drive the game to the next level.
- Ability to adapt rapidly to new or changing technology with an interest in finding ways to evolve and improve the environment art creation pipeline.
- Strong organization skills with adherence to file structures, naming conventions and other established protocols.
- Must be an excellent collaborator with a willingness to provide/accept direction and the ability to embrace change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Portfolio/website/reel demonstrating fundamental foundation art skills, design sensibilities, and attention to detail.