The MSG Sphere is like nothing else on earth. Here, 15,000 people at a time can gather for multi-sensory interactive experiences that are equal parts video game, amusement park ride, ephemeral community, and spectacle. The feel – it’s unforgettable, like sitting inside an eyeball the size of three football fields with sight, sound, scent, wind, heat, and rumble coordinating under computer control to forge an extended reality. You create that reality at MSG Entertainment in Burbank, California. As a Lead Software Engineer you’re part of a veteran multidisciplinary team designing and coding bleeding edge entertainment. You iterate, you take pride in your work, and your creations range from rapid prototypes to ultra-high-definition multimedia. You design and implement software systems – but you’re also well-organized, a great mentor, and fluent in agile practice. As an ideal candidate you bring deep and broad software development expertise, creative vision and a passion for scaling game elements from prototypes to massively multiplayer real-time experiences. Join us.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Design and implement core gameplay and user experience for MSG Entertainment Interactive’s gameplay prototypes and polished software releases.
- Collaborate across teams to share gameplay and multiplayer code, best practice, and design language elements, and to improve the production pipeline
- Create short-term and long-term solutions enabling massively interactive in-venue experiences.
- Document technical designs and decisions; provide feedback on others’ technologies and systems
- Analyze technical and design documentation and requests, translating them into discrete and manageable engineering tasks
- Mentor peers and more junior team members through code and design reviews
- Assure that assets, delivered by the art department in the appropriate format(s) for integration, are promptly integrated into code and available in regularly-scheduled milestone builds for team review
- Attend and update in daily scrums, bi-weekly sprint planning sessions, reviews, and retrospectives in accordance with the team’s Agile practices
- Computer Science BS/MS or equivalent experience
- 4+ years professional game engineering experience
- Excellent communications and team relations skills
- Expertise in C# and the Unity game engine
- Demonstrated ability to implement cloud-based multiplayer games
- Professional experience working with high-resolution 2D, 3D, and audio
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working in an Agile team and familiarity with Agile methodology
- Professional experience developing for iOS/Android mobile devices
- Professional experience developing using the Unreal game engine
- Experience with common games industry production software (MS Office, JIRA, Miro)
- Experience across all phases (concept to end-of-life) of at least one shipped AAA console or PC video game
- Interest and/or secondary skills in another key game development discipline (Game Design, Product Management, Art, Audio)
The Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement.
With MSG Sphere, we are creating an entirely new medium that will deliver immersive entertainment experiences at an unparalleled scale. Beyond a venue, Sphere is a multi-sensory platform with experiential technology programming directly to your senses. You will see in ways never imagined, hear with every fiber of your being, and experience like never before. To deliver on this promise, we are building the largest immersive venue in the world, MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas, with a second Sphere venue planned for London, pending necessary approvals. To create immersive experiences, and content unique to Sphere, we are growing our full stack creative, experience, design, production and engineering team across our Burbank studio in Los Angeles and Ventures headquarters in New York.