On being a Lead UI Artist at Ubisoft Toronto
As a Lead UI Artist at UbiTO, you will be both a hands-on developer and a vision-holding mentor as you work with a team of UI artists to transform high-level gameplay ideas into functional UI designs which meet our artistic and cognitive goals. You will oversee and coordinate your team in building and integrating the visuals that smoothly guide players as they navigate a game.Thanks to your understanding of the UI development process along with its (at times, many) technical and artistic constraints, you are go-to person for advice and a point of contact for all of production. You’re able to adapt the UI vision to support and enhance art and design changes if they happen, step in to coach your team, find solutions to setbacks, and make use of space to create a seamless and intuitive gameplay experience for players to enjoy.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with core team members to understand the game’s overall vision, art direction, visual identity and accessibility features.
- Interface with Art and game direction to create, develop, and eventually deploy a vision of the game's interface which seamlessly blends artistic sensibility with design intentions and cognitive parameters.
- Participate in prototyping to experiment with designs & explore opportunities.
- Support your team in creating interface assets (menus, animation, HUD, icons, buttons, world maps, etc.).
- Meet with your UI artists to assign tasks, establish priorities, discuss progress, provide feedback, etc.
- Find balance between artistic aspects and technical constraints & find solutions to fix buggy features.
- Integrate interface assets using our proprietary tools and engines, with the help of programmers.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (design, art, animation, etc.) to ensure consistency to achieve quality.
- Carry out the annual evaluations of your UI artists.
- Stay up to date on UI best practices, tools, and trends to refine your skills & refresh your knowledge.
- Participate in recruitment to build your UI team & foster their growth.
What it takes to make it:
- A college diploma in Digital Media, Computational Arts, Graphic Design, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 5 years of visual design experience or related experience + 2 years of leadership experience
- Knowledge of design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects), game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal), game limitations, and prototyping tools *
- Solid understanding of usability principals & information architecture
- A highly empathetic, creative, collaborative, and innovative spirit
- Excellent mentorship, communication, organizational, time management, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Flexibility and a whole lot of resourcefulness
- Motivation to reach out for feedback and adapt to it
- A sharp eye for UX design + a passion for visual communication
*Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Jira), 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max or Maya) + familiarity with scripting language and shader writing = very nice to have
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- A portfolio of your best work, showcasing your UI skills (attach images or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences, that's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
Follow this link to apply: https://smrtr.io/cqKHG