If you're willing to compile it, Aseprite is a great option as well.
check my website for the latest tips - always updating with new content!
Ghost Story Games (formerly known as Irrational Games), best known for the BioShock franchise, is seeking a highly experienced and talented Level Builder to supplement our team. In this role, you are directly responsible for crafting and creating our worlds. You will need to combine a strong aesthetic sense in creating visually interesting spaces with a solid understanding of how gameplay is affected. You will also need to possess the technical skills to ensure that your levels work within the constraints of the game technology.
- Lay out, build and light levels, from initial block-out to final polish, in Unreal 4.
- Tell deep and meaningful stories within the environment.
- Work with Art Team to ensure artistic unity in the entire project.
- Work with the Design Team to make gameplay and levels function harmoniously.
- Collaborate in the planning of project environments.
- Excel at consistent aesthetic and technical quality in all environments.
- Prototype rough level layouts quickly and efficiently.
- Set up and implement level streaming.
- Optimize levels for performance and memory.
- 5+ years’ experience in the game industry.
- Producing credit on at least one highly rated (85+) game title, or a title that we love anyway.
- Experience in modular level construction and lighting/atmosphere.
- Unreal Engine 4 experience, including terrain/landscape editing.
- Advanced understanding of physically based shading materials and lighting.
- Able to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process.
- Quickly learn and adapt to art and production pipelines.
- Self-motivated toward solving creative problems.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. and willing to relocate to Boston.
- Experience in first-person shooters and semi-open (e.g., Borderlands/Shadows of Mordor) or open-world game.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with development of FPS/action/RPG/strategy/immersive sim titles.
- The opportunity to work on a creatively ambitious project in the immersive sim genre.
- A world-class team. We are proud to be home to some of the most talented, smartest, nicest and hardest-working colleagues. We make mistakes sometimes, but we help each other by finding mistakes early and depending on each other to fix them quickly.
- We are a core development team of just under 30 people and work closely with specialist outsource groups and contractors when necessary.
- Open Communication: Our team members are welcome to join any meeting, and we have a flat structure. Do you have a question or a concern? Just walk up to anyone and ask! Team-based decision making is important to us, regardless of your position – every opinion counts and is considered.
- Flexible Hours: We understand that sometimes people need to juggle work and family life, so we have flexible work hours and a support structure that allows people to work from home if needed. Every Friday is a default WFH day for us, so no meetings planned that day!
- The Space: We love our studio space and all the comfortable perks that come with it, such as a fully stocked kitchen (drinks, fruit, snacks, breakfast food), plenty of shops, restaurants and (urgent care) services within walking distance, a game room, a quiet room, outdoor deck, free parking, public transportation connections including the Amtrak train into Boston + NY and maybe, just maybe we have a bathysphere whiskey bar.
- Free Merchandise: Every new employee is welcomed with an onboarding swag package to make sure they blend right in. Additionally, each of our team members can expect to receive a new merchandise item every time one goes live in our fan store. For fans of other Take-Two studios, there is a discounted employee store where you can find the latest games and swag from our sister studios.
- On-Site Support: Our world-class IT and Operations teams make sure that you get what you need to do what you do best. They keep us working, fed, hydrated and happy. Full team-catered lunches for new employee welcomes or significant team meetings? Receiving your online shopping orders? Getting you an aspirin when needed? They have your back!
Great Place to Work® has certified our workplace culture. At Ghost Story Games, 96 percent of employees say their workplace is great, which ties us for the first spot in the games industry.
- Strong foundational skills, including composition, design and color theory.
- Self-motivated and able to work well independently.
- Able to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Passion for narrative first-person shooters a plus.
- Understanding of source control via Perforce or equivalent.
- Traditional art skills (figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.) a plus.
- Understanding of procedural art systems in games.
- Experience working with outsourcing a plus.
- Architectural knowledge.