The MSG Sphere is like nothing else on earth. Here, 15,000 people at a time can gather for multi-sensory interactive experiences that are equal parts video game, amusement park ride, ephemeral community, and spectacle. The feel – it’s unforgettable, like sitting inside an eyeball the size of three football fields with sight, sound, scent, wind, heat, and rumble coordinating under computer control to forge an extended reality. You create that reality at MSG Entertainment in Burbank, California.
The Microservices Engineer is part of the team responsible for the deployment, and maintenance of Sphere Studios’ microservice and VM infrastructure. These virtual and containerized resources are responsible for providing the majority of the Studio’s back-end services, which include user authentication, licenses, databases, pipeline tools, image, and software packaging and deployment, render farm management and workers, and artist-facing VMs for VDI access. Ideal candidates will have extensive knowledge in containerization and experience with deploying Kubernetes clusters or Docker swarm.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Assist in developing the strategy for providing consistent dynamic virtualization/containerization infrastructure spanning the production studio.
- Assist in driving decisions on when to adopt managed solutions vs building internally.
- Assist in the execution of the strategy to provide a hybrid Compute Platform.
- Build strong relationships with internal dependencies.
- Assist in building the overall Linux infrastructure for the studio.
- Interact with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations
- Assist in configuring, maintaining, and expanding existing Nutanix, VSphere, VMWare, and VDI systems
- Assist in creating and documenting system changes, updates, and resolutions.
- Clearly communicate the status of open issues to management
- Collaborate with multiple departments to help design, implement and maintain a flexible deployment structure for in-house and third-party applications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years supporting a virtualization environment.
- Prior experience with platform infrastructure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Bash and Python
- Proficient in Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform
- Proficient with Linux systems and virtualization
- Working familiarity with Windows and Windows Server
The Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
With MSG Sphere, we are creating an entirely new medium that will deliver immersive entertainment experiences at an unparalleled scale. Beyond a venue, Sphere is a multi-sensory platform with experiential technology programming directly to your senses. You will see in ways never imagined, hear with every fiber of your being, and experience like never before. To deliver on this promise, we are building the largest immersive venue in the world, MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas, with a second Sphere venue planned for London, pending necessary approvals. To create immersive experiences, and content unique to Sphere, we are growing our full-stack creative, experience, design, production, and engineering team across our Burbank studio in Los Angeles and Ventures headquarters in New York.
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required.