this is an Excellent article, the way its set out with the vids and pics. very technical but not rambley. I learnt alot out of it.
Bob would have been proud
Congratulations Lukas:) Amazing piece of 3D parametric shader:) thank You for sharing Your knowledge:)
The artist will populate autonomously the game worlds with already produced assets in accordance with the artistic direction and production deadlines.
- Populate the game worlds with assets (vegetation, rocks, clutter, decals, props etc.), in accordance with the artistic direction and production deadlines;
- Create procedural tools for assembling dynamic assets, generating indoor/outdoor layouts, spreading road networks, rivers, streams etc.
- Apply optimization to her/his work and work within the engine constraints;
- Research and prototype useful methods for automatization of the development of game worlds with Houdini. Constantly keeping up-to-date with the changes in the game technologies;
- Act as a bridge between the Art, the Programming & the other teams in the studio;
- Apply efficiently graphic principles in her/his work;
- Use and look for artistic references – in video games or in other artistic domains – in order to improve the visual aspect of the game;
- Understand and implement the desired gameplay intentions in the game levels he/she’s in charge of;
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different technical/engine pipelines.
- Solid experience in Side Effects Houdini in procedural generation of graphical content;
- Understanding and applying the principles of procedural generation of graphical content in the game worlds;
- Understanding of code in Python, Vex or an equivalent language;
- Ability to work with technical constraints and integrate them into the procedural logic and tools;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Good sense of form, shape, silhouette in regards to objects/layouts;
- Be able to anticipate the needs of the level artists in order to streamline their productivity;
- Good English (writing and speaking);
- Ability to think creatively in resolving technical challenges and limitations;
- Ability to manage their own time and work within deadlines;
- Able to work with minimum supervision.
- Solid communication skills and a strong team player;
- Passion for games and a strong game culture.
Nice to Have:
- Experience working with Houdini Engine (Unreal, Unity, other)
- Experience working with a game engine (Unreal, Unity, other)
- Previous experience in game development;
- Experience in Autodesk 3D Studio Max (modeling and texturing tools);
- Professional working environment and access to the latest procedural technologies in the game development industry;
- Work with the most advanced procedural systems and some of the best professionals in the field;
- Work on AAA projects;
- Career opportunities, including the possibility of professional exchanges with other Ubisoft studios around the world;
- Incentive programs meant to ensure our new employees an easy integration in the teams;
- Motivating salary and bonuses;
- Comprehensive benefits package, incl. meal tickets, transport titles, private medical insurance, etc.;
- International work culture;
- Excellent office location;