Hello ! I am a video game student @ILOI & I am very thankful, your speech is very motivating .
Except the dude clearly doesn't know much of anything about the 3D game pipeline. Yeah, if you're very skilled, a high poly sculpt could, certainly. But then there's retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, rigging, animating, other means of optimization once imported into the engine. Granted it wouldn't take anywhere near the production time of a AAA character (Which the High-poly sculpt took maybe 10-15 hours altogether, but the finished character took ~94 hours). And granted pokemon models aren't nearly as complex as that, but I think at least a 1-3 hours from start to finish to be a fair average expectancy of artists who know the work flow well enough. I just hate how people are so critical of artists when they clearly don't understand what goes into it.
Vicarious Visions is looking for an exceptional Concept Artist who will work closely with the Art Director and Art Leads to expand the style and feel of the Destiny universe.
You can apply here.
Collaborate closely with the Art Director and other Concept Artists to produce quality designs that define and expand the look of the game
Create concept art for use by Production Artists to create their game content
Create thumbnails, sketches, model sheets and production paintings within a deadline
Ensure that concept art is consistent with the defined visual style of the game
Contribute original visual design ideas throughout pre-production and production
Create additional illustrated concepts for marketing and PR needs
- Ability to quickly iterate concepts given input from the Art Director
- Professional attitude and an ability to take constructive criticism
- An exceptional understanding of mood, lighting and architecture with a keen eye toward form, shape, structure, and silhouette regarding illustration and design
- Superior eye for light, value, composition, color, staging and detail in environmental design
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts, including, but not limited to, figure drawing, landscape painting and illustration
- The ability to carry an idea from the conceptual phase to the finished illustration and an understanding of translating these ideas to real-time game content
- Self-driven, good communicator and a great team-player
- Strong understanding of character proportion and costume design
- Experience with Photoshop and Painter. 3D software knowledge not an absolute requirement
- AA/BFA or demonstration through portfolio, an industry standard level of art
- A passion for games