Insomniac Games is looking for a Senior Lighting Artist to help them set up scene lights and rendering attributes for assets for levels and cinematic sequences in the game engine and tools.
- Lights video game levels, cinematic sequences, characters, weapons and other objects
- Superior understanding of lighting aesthetics and how lighting affects gameplay and guides and how lighting affects physically based materials
- Superior understanding of real-time lighting and frame/ memory optimization
- Works closely with Art Director to help determine lighting style of project
- Works closely with the artists and designers to make sure assets are properly set up for lighting and the correct areas are emphasized for gameplay
- Works closely with the Core department to prototype and test new technology
- Proposes new ideas and methods to improve workflow, performance, and technology in game
- Understanding of node-based shaders and how they relate to lighting
- Creates and maintains skies and atmospheres for various types of environments, post fx, and maintains probes for image-based lighting and reflections
- Sets up scene lights to match color keys and concept art
- Help other departments with atmospherics and lighting setups for their environment or test level needs
- Stays informed about new developments in rendering, particularly with regard to realistic lighting and surfaces
- Troubleshoots large scene files and rendering errors
- Other duties may be assigned
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Should possess an extensive knowledge of lighting and rendering with Mental Ray, Maya software renderers (or the equivalent, Max) and a working knowledge of game engines.
- Have the ability to work on multiple projects at once as a shared resource between projects and to work independently to maintain consistent aesthetic and technical quality in all lighting.