The MSG Sphere is like nothing else on earth. Here, 15,000 people at a time can gather for multi-sensory interactive experiences that are equal parts video game, amusement park ride, ephemeral community, and spectacle. The feel – it’s unforgettable, like sitting inside an eyeball the size of three football fields with sight, sound, scent, wind, heat, and rumble coordinating under computer control to forge an extended reality. You create that reality at MSG Entertainment in Burbank, California.
This role of Senior Previz Artist requires experience across every aspect of CGI: camera tracking and layout, modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, particles, dynamics, lighting, and rendering, with expert level skills in one or more of those areas. Experience with using real-time engines such as Unreal or Unity in production is not a requirement but is heavily preferred for this role. Working closely with leadership in creative development, production, post-production, and playback, this position is ideal for good communicators with a positive attitude and creative problem-solving. This role is part of a production artist group exploring and developing a unique language for Sphere, in collaboration with internal and external creative teams. Also required would be supervision of outside teams and vendors to guide their process and integrate their efforts with those happening in parallel in Sphere Studios.
Specific Functions/Activities Summary
- Work directly with the Previz Supervisor to develop and adhere to Previz methods and techniques that will assure the highest quality end results.
- Develop Sphere-specific previz techniques and processes using traditional VFX and realtime toolsets
- Ideal candidates have an appetite for creative execution and are forward-thinking and technologically inclined with an interest in being a part of an ambitious, innovative project requiring collaboration and teamwork.
- Assist Previz Supervisor in recruiting and training a world-class Previz team.
- Proficiency equivalent to 6+ years of experience working as Previz generalist.
- Previous work experience in VR, Virtual Production, or dome projects desired.
- Expert user of Maya, 3DsMax, or Houdini, plus working knowledge of other 3D software and tools.
- Expert knowledge of lighting and rendering, and experience with Arnold, Redshift, VRay, Octane, or other common render engines.
- Experience managing asset creation and use across numerous shots and sequences.
- Positive attitude and proven track record in creative problem solving with expressed interest in new technology and processes.
- Software agnosticism is a plus; adaptability to new pipelines and utilization of provided tools is critical.
The Company requires that all individuals, subject to certain limited exceptions, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations regarding this requirement.
Candidates who have completed 60 credits of college-level coursework (representing 2 years), or have shown similar self-development through certifications, trade school coursework, etc. are preferred. Educational requirements may differ from job to job-based on the role.
With MSG Sphere, we are creating an entirely new medium that will deliver immersive entertainment experiences at an unparalleled scale. Beyond a venue, Sphere is a multi-sensory platform with experiential technology programming directly to your senses. You will see in ways never imagined, hear with every fiber of your being, and experience like never before. To deliver on this promise, we are building the largest immersive venue in the world, MSG Sphere at The Venetian in Las Vegas, with a second Sphere venue planned for London, pending necessary approvals. To create immersive experiences, and content unique to Sphere, we are growing our full-stack creative, experience, design, production, and engineering team across our Burbank studio in Los Angeles and Ventures headquarters in New York.
At MSG we value diversity and are looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! MSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, MSG complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required.