Doesn't they say the same thing about photography when it was emerging? ;)
Agreed. This is just depressing and is a detriment to society. If this keeps advancing at its current rate, good art will be so trivial to generate that it won't be special anymore. Art will slowly morph into a banal distraction, with creating an original piece being as easy as applying an Instagram filter. The role of the human artist will change from a craftsperson to someone who picks a bunch of parameters, gives it to the AI, and chooses the best output. This type of technology is a threat to the very existence of art as a craft, will completely devalue artwork, and will make the journey of training to become an artist obsolete. I hate these researchers for what they're doing to a field that I love.
I disagree. There will always be demand for real artists. Like any other digital software, this is just a tool with the possibility to help artists create compelling worlds faster and add realism that would otherwise have taken days to make using other methods. As a 3D character artist, I would love to use this to create quick backdrops to place my characters in to enhance final renders.
As part of the Technical Art, Tools/Pipeline team, you’ll help breathe life into the League of Legends universe and other Riot Games content.
You can apply here.
- Jump into any art pipeline, whether it’s environment, character or other artistic disciplines, to help maintain, manage, build and support the team’s 3D tools
- Mentor and support other tech artists, critique their work and help raise the quality of art production across the board
- Coordinate, execute and help drive the Art teams’ most demanding and critical projects forward
- Liaise between Art teams and various stakeholders to provide support for interdisciplinary efforts
- Interface with key stakeholders and team leads when assessing and completing tasks and help promote strategic visions for projects
- Experienced: you’ve battled in the game dev trenches and have the scars to prove it; if you found some time to study the finer arts, you’ll score extra points
- Up to code: you bring three to five years of game production experience and tech-fluency in at least one development language, such as Python, MEL, C# or C++
- A 3D generalist: with a solid understanding of Maya, Photoshop and 3D engines, you’re comfortable tinkering with, maintaining and providing support for every art tool at your disposal
- A creative problem solver: impossible is your favorite kind of possible, and you welcome every new problem as a chance to flex your creative muscles to find solutions
- Inspiring: with a self-driven mindset and positive attitude, you invigorate and inspire the artists you support by providing clear and constructive feedback
- A dedicated gamer: as a summoner yourself, your experience with the game helps you better understand and appreciate Valoran’s unique blend of fantasy and technology and create content that belongs in the universe