Doesn't they say the same thing about photography when it was emerging? ;)
Agreed. This is just depressing and is a detriment to society. If this keeps advancing at its current rate, good art will be so trivial to generate that it won't be special anymore. Art will slowly morph into a banal distraction, with creating an original piece being as easy as applying an Instagram filter. The role of the human artist will change from a craftsperson to someone who picks a bunch of parameters, gives it to the AI, and chooses the best output. This type of technology is a threat to the very existence of art as a craft, will completely devalue artwork, and will make the journey of training to become an artist obsolete. I hate these researchers for what they're doing to a field that I love.
I disagree. There will always be demand for real artists. Like any other digital software, this is just a tool with the possibility to help artists create compelling worlds faster and add realism that would otherwise have taken days to make using other methods. As a 3D character artist, I would love to use this to create quick backdrops to place my characters in to enhance final renders.
Insomniac Games is looking for a VFX artist to come in and help create dynamic assets to work and assist in gameplay, environment, and cinematics of the game.
- Create, design and implement real-time particle effects using both static and animating 2D/3D elements
- Place effects throughout levels and cinematics
- Paint particle and decal textures
- Create simulations for gameplay elements
- Create FX shaders with node-based shader networks
- Create FX textures (color, normal, specular, ambient occlusion, height, and incandescent maps.)
- Create simple geometry and assign UV’s.
- Optimize FX for framerate and memory.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure that FX are implemented appropriately in the game engine.
- Work with Art Director to maintain FX art direction for game.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal oversight: Understands and adds to the overall art style of game.
- Orchestrates FX events involving layering and timing of different FX to create a believable scene.
- Other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in Maya, competent working with joints and locators, keyframing, rigid body simulations, hard surface modeling, and UV mapping.
- Proficient in Photoshop for painting and editing textures.
- Proficient with node-based shader networks.
- Knowledge of other visual effects software a plus.