Hi Elliott, This is a great breakdown and very generous in sharing your process and insights, you came a long way from the vending machine days!
Are you planning on releasing the UE4 project to the public? Or only builds? I'd love to play around with it in the editor if possible!
Version v0.98 is now available with many new features including a ray tracer for making photo-realistic images. Anim8or has come a long way since the first release called v0.1. There are still may areas that need improvement, primarily the renderer, but it’s getting close to what I had originally imagined as the magic v1.0. I don’t plan on stopping there, but it’ll be a nice milestone along the way.
- 3D Modeler with primitives such as spheres, cubes, and cylinders
- Mesh modification and subdivision
- Splines, extrusions, lathing, modifiers, bevelling and warping
- TrueType font support allowing for 2D and 3D text
- The ability to import .3DS, .LWO and .OBJ files for modification
- The ability to export .3DS, .OBJ, .VTX and .C files for use in external programs
- Plug-in support, using the Anim8or Scripting Language, also known as ASL for short
- 3D object browser to allow the user to view 3D files in a specified directory
- Textures in .BMP, .GIF and .JPG formats
- Environment maps, bump maps, transparency, specularity amongst others
- Character editor with joints
- Morph targets
- Renderer supporting fog, infinite, local and spot lights, anti-aliasing, alpha channels and depth channels
- Printing directly from the program
- Volumetric Shadows as well as ray traced hard and soft shadows as well as ambient occlusion support.
- A plain text file format, allowing for the development of external tools such as Terranim8or