I lost a year's work when Microsoft deleted my documents folder on their October update I wish this guy luck Adobe are more interested in forcing professionals to use their cloud than improving their products these days.
Balance changes please!
Another incredibly useful breakdown, thanks Simon!
I had been developing games professionally in Macromedia Director for 10 years, and was very disappointed with the development of the product the last 5 years. To make up for this, I wrote several graphical sub-systems, some very project-specific, but finally I designed one that fulfilled the more generic criteria I had for a 2D game creation graphics API. It was being developed in Director’s scripting language Lingo from autumn 2004 to spring 2005, and since then it’s a C# project..
Some of the features are:
- Easy media management.
- Sprite hierarchy (parent/child relations, where children’s Rotation, LOC etc. are inherited from the parent).
- Collision detection.
- Plugin-based rendering (Direct3D, GDI+, Irrlicht is next).
- Custom raster operations.
- Procedural textures (Perlin/Wood/Marble/Plasma/others).
- Particle systems.
- Flash, Photoshop, and Director import (not scripts). NB: Only prototype functionality.
- Mouse events by sprite (enter/leave/up/down etc. events).
- Widgets (button, frame, window, scrollbar etc.). All are sprite-based, so blending/scaling/rotating works on widget elements as well.
- Animator object (can animate almost any property of a sprite).
- Interpolators (for generating smooth animations, color gradients etc.).
- Sprite texts (each character is a sprite which can be animated, supports custom multicolor bitmap fonts and kerning).
- Example game prototypes (Puzzle Bobble, Parallax Asteroids, Snooker/Minigolf, Cave Hunter).
- IDE with scene graph, sprite/behavior editing, resource management, and debugging tools.
- Simple scripting language, FlowScript, for animation and sound control.
- Plug-in sound system (currently BASS or DirectSound).
- New – Color editor toolset: Gradient, Painter-style HSB picker, Color swatches (supports .aco, .act,Painter.txt).
- New – Classes for RGB, HSB, HSL, HWB, Lab, XYZ color spaces (with plug-in functionality). Picker that handles any 3-dimensional color space.