Jack. First of all, I want to apologize for offending you. We published this just to show how the tech could be used. We don't actually care about the message. But you do bring up a viable point, that for some people - this might be an issue, so I take this post down.
What European universities would you recommend?
How about you don't associate with a left leaning partisan news site assuming all video game artists lean the same way. I'll be blocking your content from here on out.
The system is aimed to help the processing of the typical not-so-small unstructured models arising in 3D scanning, providing a set of tools for editing, cleaning, healing, inspecting, rendering and converting this kind of meshes.
The system is heavily based on the VCG library developed at the Visual Computing Lab of ISTI – CNR, for all the core mesh processing tasks and it is available for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux. . The MeshLab system started in late 2005 as a part of the FGT course of the Computer Science department of University of Pisa and most of the code (~15k lines) of the first versions was written by a handful of willing students.
The following years FGT students have continued to work to this project implementing more and more features. The proud MeshLab developers are listed here. This project is actively supported by the 3D-CoForm project.
Interactive selection and deletion of portion of the mesh. Even for large models.
Painting interface for selecting, smoothing and coloring meshes.
Mesh Cleaning Filters:
- removal of duplicated, unreferenced vertices, null faces
- removal of small isolated components
- coherent normal unification and flipping
- erasing of non manifold faces
- automatic filling of holes
- High quality edge collapse simplification (even with texture coords preservation)
- Surface reconstruction from points (a ball pivoting variant, marching cubes and poisson’s reconstruction)
- Subdivision surfaces (loop and butterfly)
- Feature preserving smoothing and fairing filters
- Holes filling
- Various Colorization/Inspection filters
- Gaussian and mean curvature
- Border edges, geodesic distance, from borders
- Non two-manifold edges and vertices
- Self intersecting faces
- Ambient Occlusion. An ambient occlusion field can be computed and stored per vertex
- Interactive Mesh Painting
- Color Painting
- Selection paint
Remember that, whenever you use MeshLab in a official/commercial project or in any kind of research, you should:
- Explicitly cite in your work that you have used MeshLab, a tool developed with the support of the 3D-CoForm project,
- Post a couple of lines in the users’ forum describing the project where MeshLab was used.
- Adopted License, acknowlegments and other legal issues are detailed here.
Input/output in many formats:
import:PLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, PTX, V3D, PTS, APTS, XYZ, GTS, TRI, ASC, X3D, X3DV, VRML, ALN
export:PLY, STL, OFF, OBJ, 3DS, COLLADA, VRML, DXF, GTS, U3D, IDTF, X3D
Point Clouds support. Now 3D files that are composed only by points are well supported in PLY and OBJ format.
U3D support; MeshLab is the first open source tool to provide direct conversion of 3D meshes into the U3D format. Now you can create pdf, like this with 3D objects with just MeshLab and LaTeX.
12 July, 2017
4 May, 2016
2 March, 2016