The release comes with extended support for USD, upgraded texturing and rendering systems, and multiple bug fixes.
Marmoset has officially launched the beta version of Marmoset Toolbag 4.06, a major upgrade to the company's rendering and LookDev tool.
Focusing primarily on extending the software's support of the USD file format, the release enhances Toolbag's import/export capabilities, improving the ability to share data between Toolbag scene files and the interoperability with other 3D applications. Additionally, the update features improvements to the software's texturing and rendering systems, as well as multiple bug fixes across all of Toolbag's systems.
Here are some of the new features and enhancements Marmoset Toolbag 4.06 brings to the table:
USD File Format
- Added support for exporting selected meshes/objects.
- A progress bar now appears when exporting USD files.
- Mesh settings such as Cast Shadows, Cull Back Faces, Subdivision, etc are now retained when re-importing to Toolbag.
- Light settings including intensity, shape, etc are now retained when re-importing to Toolbag.
- Camera Limits and Curves are now retained when re-importing to Toolbag.
- Sky objects now retain their various settings when re-importing to Toolbag.
- When importing USD files, the default Tangent Space and Orientation settings from Preferences are now applied.
- Added a rotation setting for the texture boxes in the Dirt and Scratch layer types.
- The Fit to Brush setting now produces correctly transformed normal map content on a wide range of surfaces.
- The Fit to Brush setting now applies pixel padding, solving a problem with slight gaps along UV seams.
- Grayscale textures from the library are no longer interpreted as single channel red images when loaded into color texture slots.Fixed an inconsistency with blend modes when using linear space for color texture maps like albedo.
- Contrast is now being applied in the correct order for some processor and procedural layers, avoiding clamping of brightness values when using low intensity and high contrast settings.
- The preview for layers in the mask stack will no longer become out of date when their parent layer or group is disabled.
Rendering & Materials
- The EXR file format has been added for video output, enabling the creation of HDR image sequences.
- The list of suffixes for auto-loading textures has been updated.
- Ambient Occlusion now works with orthographic cameras.
- Materials with transparency now render correctly in Ray Tracing mode with UVs that go out of the 0-1 bounds.
- Mipmapping can now be disabled with MPIC texture files, which are used for materials and images in the asset library.