FastTrack Tutorials announced a new course that covers the cutting-edge techniques used by professional environment artists for creating custom decals.
The course is mentored by Emiel Sleegers, a Senior Environment Artist and owner of FastTrack Tutorials. He’s worked on games like The Division 2 + DLC at Ubisoft, Forza Horizon 3 at Playground Games, and as a Freelancer on multiple projects as an Environment Artist and Material Artist. This 5-hour course covers workflows and the best techniques in Unreal Engine 5, Adobe Substance 3D Painter, Adobe Substance 3D Designer, ZBrush, Marmoset Toolbag 4, and Adobe Photoshop.
The key topics covered in this tutorial:
- Creating procedural leak decals using Adobe Substance 3D Designer
- Creating Hand Painted leak decals using Adobe Substance 3D Painter
- Creating edge damage and welding decals using ZBrush and Marmoset
- Creating road cracks and pothole decals using Adobe Substance 3D Designer
- Creating POM decals in Unreal Engine which stands for parallax occlusion mapping
- Creating image-based decals
- Creating normal-map only decals that you can use on terrains
- Setting up various decal materials in unreal engine 5
- Using atlases with decals to optimize your scene
- Showcasing how to use decals in your levels
The general takeaway of this course is that in the end, you will know how to create a wide variety of decals to use for your games. This course will come with all source files except for the showcase environment used in the images. The mentors note that this game art tutorial is perfect for students who have familiarity with Unreal Engine and Adobe Substance 3D.