The update comes with support for new CAD file formats, the ability to set the polygon density of meshes, support for Pico and Quest Pro VR headsets, and more.
The Adobe Substance 3D team announced the release of Substance 3D Modeler 1.2, a new and improved version of the company's modeling and sculpting application for desktop and VR.
The highlight of the update is the introduction of a brand-new Adaptive Factor slider, which replaces the "Optimize for" dropdown menu and allows you to control how the exporter processes your mesh to either focus on more regularly spaced polygons, or on preserving areas of high detail.
Additionally, the 1.2 version of the app comes with the ability to manually enter and exit VR by pressing ESC, adds non-manifold support for the Convert to clay feature, adds support for Pico and Quest Pro VR headsets, and makes it possible to import and export STL, IGS, JT, and STEP files, making Modeler even better for 3D printing and CAD work.
Substance 3D Modeler 1.2 features:
- Improved support for VR headsets.
- Created controller mappings for Touch controllers, Valve Index controllers, standard simple VR controllers, and Vive wands.
- Updated haptics to work with Quest 2 controllers.
- Imported meshes are now included in exports alongside clay.
- Improved handling of incorrectly formatted/organized USD files.
- Added a new stamp to the default stamp set.
- Improvements to decimation performance and behavior.
- Changed how export menu sliders work to allow more granular control.
- On export, moving the polygon count slider to maximum now turns off decimation which results in more accurate and faster exports.
- The Export menu polygon count slider now remembers the polygon count when switching between tris and quads.
- Export colors now defaults to false.
- Improved export stability and speed.
- Updates to various text and tooltips across the app.
- Updated gizmo visuals.
- Pressure is now enabled by default for the Buildup, Paint, Crease, and Smooth tools.
- Duplicating a group with hidden layers will no longer duplicate the hidden content within the group.
- Select all no longer selects hidden content.
- Quick save is now always available in VR – if the file hasn’t previously been saved, a filename will be generated.