Learn more about new features coming to Substance 3D software.
At Game Developers Conference 2022, an event dedicated to all aspects of game development that is currently taking place in San Francisco, CA, the Adobe Substance 3D team shared tons of new information about the upcoming features that will soon be implemented to Substance 3D Sampler, Stager, Painter, and Designer. Some of these features were long-awaited, others caught everyone by surprise, but all of them promise to improve 3D Artists' Substance 3D workflows. Here are some of the upcoming features that were announced at GDC 2022:
Substance 3D Sampler
- A new Content-Aware Fill tool that promises to simplify one's material workflow, improving the cleaning process and making it more convenient. This new feature will allow you to get rid of any unwanted elements in your textures and even make materials completely seamless in a few strokes. The feature works across all channels of your material at once.
- An improved Clone Stamp tool.
- Better widgets.
- Improvements to the Image to Material feature.
Substance 3D Stager
- The company has announced the upcoming addition of IBL shadows, a combination of voxel and screen-space shadows calculated from the environment. These new shadows combined with the included IBL editor promise to accelerate and improve the lighting process.
- The team is also adding a new Material Panel that will allow you to add, edit, and reuse any material in the scene.
- The complete removal of shadow termination artifacts.
Substance 3D Designer
- The upcoming Spring release of Substance 3D Designer will bring support for USD import and export, allowing you to bring in USD files as building blocks for your parametric modeling graphs.
- A new "Send To" feature that will allow you to send materials directly to Substance 3DStager.
- New nodes: Tile Random, Voxel Render, and 3D Noises.
Substance 3D Painter
- The upcoming update for SP will bring Physical Size support. Introduced in Sampler earlier this year, this feature allows materials to tile just right by default when applying them on your model based on their real-world scale.
- Improvements to the Color Picker, now allowing you to pick a specific channel rather than the final on-screen pixel.
- ICC integration.
- Long-awaited Height, Opacity, and Bent Normal bakers.
20 new Grunge Maps added to the starter assets.
You can learn more about the upcoming Substance 3D features by clicking this link. Also, don't forget to join our new Reddit page, our new Telegram channel, follow us on Instagram and Twitter, where we are sharing breakdowns, the latest news, awesome artworks, and more.