Ubisoft Toronto, Daniel Mullins Games, Savvy Games Studios, Novablocks, and Wabisabi Games are looking for specialists.
This posting is for remote (anywhere in the world) contract work with flexible hours. Full-time hours are an option, in which case the time to finish all the work may be 3-6 months. Otherwise, it could be a longer period of part-time work. I hope to compensate for the ephemeral nature of the position with a higher-than-average rate.
Daniel Mullins Games is a small company. In fact, it is basically a company of one (hi, that’s me). When working with contractors I like to make them the masters of their domain and then I try to meddle as little as possible. The work will be bound by some loose constraints but you’ll get a lot of say over how it turns out.
I’m a mostly solo developer responsible for creating Inscryption, The Hex, and Pony Island. Considering the success of Inscryption, I think it’s safe to say your work will be seen by a lot of people. No pressure! I’m certainly not cracking under it.
- 3+ years industry experience creating 3D game art with at least one shipped title
- Experience working in Unity: lighting, materials, creating performant environments
- Experience with foliage generation tools such as SpeedTree and experience creating vegetation-heavy scenes in Unity
- Experience using source control tools such as Git
- A portfolio showcasing some of your best 3D environment work
We’re working on a Splinter Cell remake, assembling a team with passion, drive and respect for the trifocal goggles. This is an opportunity to be part of a treasured franchise, rebuilt to deliver next-generation visuals and modernized stealth gameplay while preserving what's at the heart of the Splinter Cell experience.
The VFX Artist independently delivers a wide range of high quality visual effects for the project in respect of technical constraints and artistic direction.
What it takes to make it:
- 4 years experience in game
- Cinematic or film experience is an asset;
- Experience working within a high-quality, photo-realistic VFX environment;
- Advanced knowledge of relevant 3D software with particular emphasis on fluid simulation and rigid body dynamics tools (e.g. Embergen, Rayfire, Blender, Houdini etc.);
- Exposure to industry game engines (e.g. Unreal) and production pipelines;
- Good knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or After Effects for texture creation;
- Good working knowledge of particle driven effects and shader systems;
- Good understanding of node-based shaders and their creation;
- Knowledge of Physically Based Rendering and Linear workflows;
- Good understanding of modelling, texture mapping, materials and post-processing (e.g. colour grading etc.);
- Familiarity with data management software (such as perforce);
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team setting;
- Work effectively in high-pressure and deadline-driven situations;
- Understanding of workload management software/principles (Jira) is an advantage;
- Knowledge of the video games industry and awareness of typical video game development processes.
Savvy Games Studios (SGS) mission is to create world-leading game studios in Saudi Arabia, creating high-quality games for international audiences. Also to help Saudi’s passionate gaming sector to develop homegrown IP and, more broadly, make KSA a global hub for gaming.
SGS is seeking an experienced Associate Game Producer responsible for supporting the execution and adherence to the project’s vision. S/he will build great relationships with Producer, Design Director, Art Director, Technical Director, Lead Live Operations, and other stakeholders to deliver AAA titles across multiple platforms. S/he will also support the conception of the direction and vision of the project, along with taking care of the project timeline, budget, and quality standards set forth and agreed upon.
Qualifications & Key Skills:
- Shipped at least one project on mobile with post-lunch life cycles, free to Play.
- Passion and enthusiasm for games.
- Experienced Associate Producer or Product manager with 3-5 years of experience in a similar position.
- Strong Project Management and planning skills.
- Organized and analytical in decision making
- Strong knowledge of Scrum and agile development and a practitioner of the same.
- Exceptional know-how in production pipelines, tools, and methodologies.
- Faster learner with an eye for details while keeping a 360-degree check on the project.
- Strong understanding of project velocity, burndown, Game KPIs, and the ability to use data while making decisions.
- Master of influence, helping others understand and become passionate about their work.
- Accomplished mediator and resolver of conflicts.
- Strong experience with MS Office Suite and Atlassian software and/or various project management tools.
- Bachelor's or equivalent in project management or technical degree.
Find out more about the company: Saudi Arabia's Savvy Gaming Group Acquires $1bn Stake in Embracer, Savvy Games Group Is Acquiring Scopely for $4.9 Billion.
As a Technical Director (Art) at Ubisoft Toronto, you have the highest level of understanding of what our tech can do, can’t do, might do, and the visibility on the project as a whole. You’re responsible for providing expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – toward success.
Working with other directors early on, you discuss intentions before making any commitments. You take into account not only measurable factors such as rendering, performance, and memory but also intangible ones like timing and momentum. Seeing the facts realistically, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice.
Though every day of development brings its own mix of both expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals, while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
What it takes to make it:
- A college diploma in 3D Modelling, Programming/Engineering, Art or equivalent;
- 5+ years of art, technical art, or programming experience, or other related experience
- 3+ years of leadership experience;
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce);
- A highly innovative, collaborative, empathetic, and solution-oriented spirit;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills;
- Critical thinking, time management, and organizational capabilities;
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility.
Savvy Games Studios (SGS) mission is to create world-leading game studios in Saudi Arabia, creating high-quality games for international audiences. Also, to help Saudi’s passionate gaming sector to develop homegrown IP and, more broadly, make KSA a global hub for gaming.
SGS is seeking an experienced Creative/Game Design Director to drive the strategic vision of our future projects and carry it through its development. The Design Director will work closely with the different teams, from the early concepts to spotting entertainment trends and licensing opportunities to support the live operations of the game.
Qualifications and Key Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or College diploma in game design or equivalent is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years experience as a game designer (experience in supervising a creative team, a significant asset), content director, or equivalent, must have shipped over 5 games, including AAA titles on mobile or console.
- A leader who encourages team collaboration works well with stakeholders across.
- Expertise in Mobile and F2P.
- Experience in prototyping and shipping games with Unity or Unreal gaming engines and well-versed with the constraints.
- Extensive knowledge of Game Design principles and the gaming landscape.
- Experience in working with a range of devices from mobile to console.
- Knowledge of user acquisition landscape and strong understanding of market trends.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to write clear documentation, making complex ideas clear, concise, and compelling.
- Passionate gamer with an eye for details.
- Attention to detail from both technical and artistic perspectives.
- Strong proactive problem-solving and intuitive development skills.
- Willing to accept and provide direction, work well under pressure, and handle multiple tasks.
- Fast and willing learner.
Find out more about the studio: Savvy Games Studios Is Seeking a Marketing Brand Manager, Savvy Games Studios Is Seeking Senior UI/UX Artist.
Novablocks is a VC-backed browser-native gaming platform designed for teenagers to build and play games instantly. Our mission is to create the most accessible sandbox game ever, to unlock imagination, to empower people to express themselves and to become game creators.
We are looking for a hands-on Principal Engineer to join us in a pivotal role, someone who wants to work as a technical strategist, helping to build out our core development team, and also as an active contributor across the entire stack. You will be working alongside a team of proven founders who have a track record and have previously exited a business.
- At least 5-7 years of game development experience
- Proven experience shipping a game from concept to launch
- Broad understanding of networking, game engine, physics and rendering technologies
- Knowledge of browser technologies, devices, HTML5, WebGL, and Three.js (bonus)
- Experience working in a small studio (5-30 people)
- Excellent communication skills and a strong team player attitude
- Ability to tolerate and overcome challenges in a fast-paced startup environment
We are a new indie studio working on our first original IP. The game is a new old-school 3D platformer based on graffiti painting. Think of it as a mix of Jet Set Radio and Spyro the Dragon, with an art direction of Asian cyberpunk brutalist aesthetics (like the original manga of Ghost in the Shell).
We are looking for a senior 3D environment artist focused on Unreal Engine that can help with the development of our videogame, creating atmospheres and environments inspired by the concept art to reach the level of quality of a III (triple I) game.
The person needs to show expertise in the entire environment art pipeline, from modularity planning, 3d modeling, creation of textures, shaders, and lighting.
The current technology pipeline is Maya, Substance 3D Painter/Designer, Photoshop, and Unreal Engine 4.
The position will focus actively on:
- Creation of 3D assets and 3D environments based on architecture and organic elements, combined with lighting stages.
- Set dressing and world-building inside Unreal Engine.
- Work along with a team of developers, artists, producers, and more.
- Create solutions for 3D art that respond to the technical limitations of the engine and the game design documents.
You may find these articles interesting
80 Level Job Digest: Great Opportunities for Designers & Artists
80 Level Job Digest: New Opportunities for Programmers
80 Level Job Digest: New Positions for Talented Artists
80 Level Job Digest: Offers for Artists, Animators & Programmers
80 Level Job Digest: New Opportunities for Artists & Game Engineers