Sony, Marvel, DreamWorks, Pixar, and others will share and unveil their latest technological innovations.
The second edition of CAFÉ (Conference, Animation, FX, and Expertise) features a packed program centered on the theme Explore New Worlds. On May 16 and 17, the event will focus on stimulating topics related to technology and creativity within the fields of animation and visual effects. This not-to-be-missed conference will showcase the sector’s creativity and innovative spirit, while also providing a unique opportunity for networking, business development, and recruitment.
“CAFÉ is an unparalleled gathering of visual effects and animation experts, designed to bring together the industry’s specialists and showcase the exceptional talent found in Quebec,” said Christine Maestracci, CEO of the Quebec Film and Television Council (QFTC), organizer of the event. “This second edition will highlight today’s technologies and tomorrow’s innovations, stimulate the creativity of the next generation and celebrate the breadth of the work done by local and international players. The event features inspiring panels, lectures from world-renowned guests, unforgettable business encounters, and unique activities, and emphasizes the fact that Quebec is one of the world’s three major hubs for visual effects and animation.”
The event features several high-profile talks by Quebec specialists and international experts. Four keynote presentations will mark the conference:
- As an exclusive sneak peek, Sony Pictures Imageworks and Sony Pictures Animation will unveil and comment on footage from Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse just days before its release;
- Nick Marshall and Melaina Mace, DNEG’s DFX Supervisor and CG Supervisor respectively, will reveal their creative approach to the post-apocalyptic world of the acclaimed series The Last of Us;
- Geoffrey Baumann, Marvel Studios’ Production VFX Supervisor, will talk about the underwater work done for the visual effects on Black Panther: Wakanda Forever;
- Director Pierre Perifel and Jean-Pierre Sans, head of animation at DreamWorks Animation Studios, will give a behind-the-scenes look at the animated film The Bad Guys.
Seventeen other lectures are on the program. Among them:
- Pixar Studio will focus on the RenderMan rendering tool and its future use in the context of artificial intelligence, virtual reality, etc.;
- WeFX will recount the steps taken to create the character Lotion Lady from the episode “The Outside” of Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities;
- Pixomondo’s talk will focus on the creation of a real-time digital environment for the movie Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.
The entire program is available on the CAFÉ website.
A significant proportion of CAFÉ 2023 will be devoted to the environmental aspects. Details concerning the Rolling Green program will be presented, and the need for the industry to make the shift to green production will be demonstrated. A QFTC initiative focused on environmentally responsible audiovisual production in Quebec, Rolling Green promotes and fosters the adoption of responsible practices at all stages of production.
CAFÉ will promote discussion and explore the next steps for the program in order to achieve greener VFX and animation studio productions.
A research and development activity will take place over an entire afternoon. Led by the CDRIN and SYNTHÈSE, this event will involve panels of experts from the academic and business worlds. Participants will focus on applied research, integration of new technologies, and new trends in computer graphics R&D.
Other highlights and themes of this second edition:
- Partner Stage: Meet with animation and visual effects specialists who will speak about the projects they are working on and the collaborations that make the Quebec industry successful;
- Education Zone hosted by SYNTHÈSE: This area will feature portfolio review activities for students and an art exhibit of printed works on canvas;
- The Living Spaces: A casual area where participants can have a coffee, relax and chat without having to leave the premises. This is also where the cocktail parties will be held to allow visitors to network and end the day on a high note.
A QFTC initiative produced by Kaliko Productions, CAFÉ 2023 will be attended by over 800 specialists and professionals of the VFX and Animation world. The event will be held at Montréal’s Palais des congrès on May 16 and 17, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (doors will be open from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM).
All tickets include access to talks, scheduled activities, and Living Spaces. The business tickets also grant access to the Business Space, the cocktail parties, and the MeetToMatch business meeting platform.
Partners of CAFÉ 2023: Autodesk, A.A. Studios, Hybride Technologies, Raynault VFX, Rodeo FX, SYNTHÈSE - Pôle Image Québec, Tonic DNA, École NAD-UQAC, Framestore, Mikros Animation, Rayon FX, BUF, L’Atelier Animation, Folks VFX, Hypertec, Montréal International, 80 Level, Animation World Network, ACM Siggraph Montréal, befores & afters magazine, VES MTL and VFX Voice.
CAFÉ is an annual gathering for visual effects and animation professionals. They connect with their community, discuss the latest innovations and share their knowledge in a welcoming atmosphere of camaraderie. They also explore new ideas through talks, networking events, exclusive parties, unique activities, etc. CAFÉ showcases the talents of the sector while celebrating the wealth of work of local and international players.
About the Quebec Film and Television Council
The Quebec Film and Television Council is a non-profit organization that contributes to the development and competitiveness of Quebec as a world-class center for multi-screen productions. It generates investments in Quebec through competitive fiscal incentive programs, the know-how of the sector’s members, the geographic and architectural diversity of the province, the quality of the infrastructure, and the industry’s capacity to export its products.
About Kaliko Productions
Kaliko Productions uses its expertise to assist its clients in all stages of their projects, from conception to execution, all the while adapting to their needs. Whether it’s for production and logistics, communications and customer experience, or even turnkey solutions, Kaliko’s creativity and ingenuity bring ideas to life.